chapter three: 𝐚 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐥𝐦 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭

CHAPTER THREEA NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

CHAPTER THREE
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

CHAPTER THREEA NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

Mavis opened her eyes suddenly. She looked around, trying to scan the environment for any clues of where she was, but it was to no avail. It was dark, probably the middle of the night, and she wasn't able to see anything. A bit further away, there was a light, and she decided to walk towards it. She needed answers.

Once she was close enough, she noticed the light was coming from a streetlamp, and right next to it was a street sign that read Elm Street. In that moment, Mavis realized where she was: she was back in Detroit, in a street she knew very well; she spent most of her afternoons there after all. But what was she doing there?

She blinked, and when she opened her eyes again, she was in her childhood best friend Jessica's house, more specifically in the living room. And Mavis just knew what was about to go down. She knew the scene by heart; she had relived it enough in the last years. The doorbell rang, and Jessica's mom went to answer the door. A few minutes later, she walked into the living room with Linda, Mavis' aunt.

"Mavis, sweetie..." she started to say as the little brown-haired girl looked at her confusedly.

"Where's mom? She was supposed to pick me up," Mavis heard herself speak, sounding four years younger.

Linda sighed. "Something came up so your mom couldn't pick you up. But come on, I'll take you home."

Mavis hugged her best friend goodbye before following her aunt to the car, puzzled as to why Jessica's mom was looking at her with... pity.

But she would soon find out why.

Once in the car, Linda turned to face her. "Mavis..."

She frowned. "Why are you looking at me like that? Did something happen?"

"Your mom... she's been in a car accident. She fell in the Detroit River after a drunk driver crashed against her, and... it is not looking good. She's in a coma..."