Gasoline

"I should probably check on Basil," Kel said, checking the time. Sunny was still sleeping, and Kel was still hesitant to wake him.

"Right now?" Sunny's mom asked. "But you haven't gotten to talk to Sunny yet."

"I know, but I'm kinda on a limited time scale. I have to get home before Hero finds out I was here, or it will turn ugly."

"So Hero doesn't know you're here?" Sunny's mom asked.

"Of course not," Kel replied.

A pause, then, "Do your parents know you're here?"

"Um ..."

Sunny's mom shook her head in disbelief. "How did you even get here?"

"I rode Aubrey's scooter."

"Rode Aubrey's ... all the way from home?"

"I mean, I did run partway. I guess I just have high stamina."

She laughed at that. "Well, you won't have to run home. I'll drive you."

"Oh, no. You don't have to do that. You should stay with Sunny," Kel said.

"No, it's okay," Sunny's mom insisted. "It's safer for you. What if on your way home you get kidnapped or hit by a car? Anyway, you are my son's best friend, and it's my duty to bring you home safe."

"Okay ..." Kel said. He felt that he could've gotten home just fine on his own, but on the other hand the car was faster, and he really didn't want to ride that dang scooter another six miles.

"It's settled then." Sunny's mom clapped her hands together. "Now, I've got a couple of phone calls to return, so go visit Basil while you wait. I don't think anybody's come to visit him, poor child."

"All of us visited yesterday. That was when Sunny told us everything."

"I see," Sunny's mom said, her face expressionless. "I'll wait for you in the car." She turned and left without another word, leaving Kel to wonder if he upset her somehow. He glanced at Sunny one last time, then left, walking down the hall towards Basil's hospital room.

Basil was sitting in his hospital bed, reading a book. One of the nurse must've given him some flowers, since a vase full of them was on the table next to the bed, and a small flower with blue petals was tucked by his left ear. He looked up as Kel walked in.

"Oh! Kel, it's you," Basil said.

"Expecting someone else?" Kel asked jokingly.

Basil shrugged. "Polly, I guess. Or Sunny. But there's this one nurse who keeps visiting me for some reason. I think she might have a crush on me." He laughed nervously.

"Ooh, Basil, you might just walk out of here with a girlfriend," Kel teased, laughing as Basil blushed. He walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge of it. "But seriously, how are you?"

"I'm fine, I think."

"You think?"

"Yeah. I mean, I don't know. Everything's crazy now. It's a relief that you all know the truth, but after seeing how Hero and Aubrey reacted, I kinda wish it was still a secret."

"Well, no matter what, you know I'm here for you, right?" Kel assured him. Basil smiled gratefully, but it only lasted for a couple of seconds. "What's wrong?"

"He didn't mean to do it," Basil said in a small voice.

"I know."

"He was so scared. He wouldn't stop crying. He needed help, and I was the only one there. I made him hide the truth. I made him hang his own sister's body." Basil's voice cracked, and tears flowed down his cheeks like rivers. He covered his face with his hands. "What kind of sicko does that?"