Chapter 11: Morning Duties

Gunther knocked on the door. "Cap'n?"

"Yes, Gunther?"

"Are you decent?"

"Decent or clothed?"

Gunther groaned. "Ten years I've been asking if you're decent and ten years you answer like that, I mean clothed!"

"Come in."

Gunther rolled his eyes as he opened the door and walked in. The Captain was at least wearing pants, which was good enough for Gunther. He barely caught a glimpse of the crew's emblem sewn inside the shirt the Captain was putting on.

"State your business."

"Will you be steering today or should I warn the rest of the crew that Lawrence will be?"

"Storms?"

"Yes, Cap'n. Not big. But big enough."

He nodded, tying his long, greyed hair back into a ponytail. "How's the ship?"

"Perfectly spiffy."

"And the crew?"

"Energetic and ready, Cap'n."

The Captain smiled. "How about you steer today, Gunther?"

"Cap'n, for the sake of everyone's health, best if you do."

The Captain furrowed his brow and turned to look at Gunther. Now, based on Gunther's exact expression and wording, it would be safe to assume he was simply worried about the storms. But the Captain knew better, and he knew exactly what that hand sign meant.

Navy? He signed back.

Unknown. Possum said ship behind us since port.

No flag?

Too far, can't see.

Tell softfoot?

Yes.

Crew?

No.

Eavesdropping?

Obviously.

The Captain had to stifle a laugh. Nosy buggers.

They're worried.

"Fine then, I'll steer today, if you're so worried about a little storm."

"Not the little one I'm worried about, Cap'n, you know my tendency to find big ones."

"Unfortunately, I do." They're getting closer?

Noticably so. Possum guesses 5pm.

"Tell the crew I'll be up shortly."

Gunther nodded. "Your shirt has a hole."

"Dammit!"

Gunther walked out to see the whole crew crowded around the door, Denise included. "Go on, get! We have work to do!" He barked. "Captain'll be up shortly! Set sail, and let's be on our way by then!"

The crew scattered, minus Lawrence. "Did you tell him?"

"Yep. He wanted us to head straight for a storm tonight until I brought it up."

"You know if it's Navy, or worse, the Wile's Pirates, we'll have to tell the crew."

"Until we know it's them, it's best to leave it be. Not get the crew all worried." They shared a knowing look. Especially with Denise on board.