Chapter 4

*Lacey's POV*

Calum and I have been texting non stop since he gave me his number. Nothing extremely personal, just small talk. About school and things like that. He asked me if I wanted to go to the home soccer game tonight, and I agreed.
I'm not very good with social events, but I wanted to see how this school works, after school hours. All I've experienced at that school is how much people hate me. I was ready to get out.
I pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans, a plain grey Tshirt, and a Minnisota Vikings hoodie over it. It's my home team alright?
I tied my black converse and waved goodbye to my mom.
Soccer seemed like the next best sport after football. The home side bleachers were almost filled with people. There was a student section, similar to football games, and even the band was there. I decided to roam around, observing the environment.
It looked like the game was about half way through, and we were winning. There were a lot of people standing by the fence, by the snack bar, and some even under the bleachers.
"Hey. Lacey right?" I turned to where the voice was coming from. A boy, a little shorter than I was, long black hair that swooped to cover his eyes slightly. He was wearing a beanie, and from what I could see, a little bit of eye liner.
I nodded.
"Hi, I'm Nate. What are you doing at a soccer game? Doesn't seem like your kind of party." He said, a rhetorical question. "Wanna have some fun?" He asked me. Before I could answer, he was pulling me towards the back of the snack bar building.
A huge wiff of Marijuana filled my nose, and I coughed a little. We approached a little group of people, four more boys and three girls, they all turned around to face us.
"This is Lacey guys. Lacey, this is Storm, Andy, Troy, and Jonah. That's lizzy, Giselle, and Mel." Nate introduced me to everyone, and everyone to me.
"Take a hit." The boy known as Storm said, passing me a joint. I stayed where I was, and Nate sat down next to him.
"It won't hurt you Lacey." He said, taking a hit from the joint.
"We know you don't talk. But we accept everyone unlike those assholes in the bleachers." Mel said. Nate branched off of her.
"That's why you're here. We just want to be friends. So sit down, enjoy your first soccer game." Nate laughed. What the hell? I sat down next to him.
"Word has it star soccer player has it out for you." Lizzy said. I shrugged, knowing they were talking about Calum.
"Well who wouldn't? You're hot." Nate said, laughing. I took a few scoots away from him. "Don't worry." He started to add on, "I'm gay." He said. He turned to storm, grabbed his face, and kissed him on the mouth. I smiled, thinking it was cute.
"Been together and inseparable for a year and a half. Sickening isn't it?" Mel said. Laughter came from the group.
"Wether you wanna get high with us or not, we still want to be your friends." Lizzy said, noticing I was a little hesitant about all the drugs around me. I felt relieved when she said that.
"We're just good fucking people. That's all." Storm laughed, slinging his arm around Nate.
They were right. I was glad to meet some people who didn't think I was a total freak. I listened to their conversations, intrigued with their stories and laughter from all the weed. They were good people.

*Calum's POV*

Halftime. The spiritline lined up at the front of the field to perform, and the team and I hussled back to the locker rooms to talk and cool off.
"Hey, I'm gonna go see if Lacey made it, alright?" I said to Ashton. He nodded and I left the locker room.
"Cal! Amazing game so far!" students were stopping me to tell me. I thanked them, preoccupied trying to find Lacey.
I searched the bleachers, the areas around the snack bar, under the bleachers, everywhere. I guess she didn't come.
I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. A smile grew on my face when I saw Lacey standing in front of me.
"Lacey! I'm glad you could make it." Thinking about hugging her, but remembering she doesn't like to be touched. "Have you been watching the game?" I asked, forming more conversation.
Before she could answer, someone's voice interrupted.
"Hey! Lacey! Long bathroom break huh?" I looked to see who it was. Nate Classen and Storm Hardy. Why would she be hanging around with them? Everyone knows them and their group of friends are always higher than kites.
"Hey Nate." I said, trying my best to be friendly. He smiled before responding.
"Hey. Lacey, you coming back to hang with us, or?" he trailed off, smiling again. Lacey looked at me, then back at Nate. "Okay okay, we'll see you around." He said, grabbing Storms hand and leaving.
"Let's walk?" I asked her. She smiled and followed me. "I really hope you're liking the game. We've been undefeated the entire season so far. We're hoping to finally go to state this year." I said quickly. She's so beautiful. She makes me so nervous.
"Cal!! You've been doing so amazing!" A voice from behind me said. I turned around to face Brandi. I smiled at her as I usually do.
"Thanks Brandi. You've met Lacey haven't you?" I said. Brandi's expression changed, and I could feel Lacey's body shaking against mine.
"Uh, yeah. The mute? We've met." I wasn't happy with the name she had called Lacey by.
"It's Lacey." I said sternly, making sure she got the message.
"Right." She laughed and said her goodbyes. Extremely irritated, the band performance was almost over and I had to get back to th field.
"Hey I've got to get going, the games started back up. It was so nice seeing you, and I'm sorry about, that." I said turning towards her.
She nodded, indicating it was okay.
"Thank you for coming! I'll talk to you later babe." I said running off, completely regretting what I just said. Babe? Really Calum? It just slipped out.
I shook it off, and got into the huddle, ready for the next play.

*Lacey's POV*
I smiled the entire way home. Babe? I could see myself getting used to it. Not that I would. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, as my smile grew bigger.

*Texts*
Calum: hey, thanks again for coming it was really good seeing you (:

Lacey: anytime (: you're really good!

Calum: thank you (: and I'm really sorry about the whole babe thing it sort of just slipped out hahaha

Lacey: Don't worry about it haha. It's fine

Calum: alright. Hey, are you free tomorrow?

I internally started freaking out.

Lacey: uh yeah, I think so. Why do you ask?

Calum: I was wondering if you would maybe want to hang out? Like a date?

Is it possible that too much smiling is unhealthy? As much as I really wanted to see Calum again, I've never been on a date before.

Lacey: I would really like that, but are you sure?
I didn't know how me not talking would effect calum, and I'm terrified to find out.

Calum: absoluetly. Nothing super fancy, dinner and a movie?

I didn't want to say no, because I really want to get to know Calum. But I don't want to make him feel like he deserves this kind of relationship.

Lacey: alright (:
As people say these days, yolo.

Calum: perfect! I'll pick you up at 7:30.

Lacey: sounds great (: I'll see you tomorrow

Calum: night Lacey (:

I went downstairs to write my mom a note that I was going to be going out tomorrow, so she would see it before going to work.
This was so nerve racking. But I want to try and make it work.

Authors note: okay making text conversations is SoOO difficult w/o emojis JUST IMAGINE EMOJIS OK thank you