Harnessed

"Ben," River whispered. "I can't hear anything now."

The young male took River's hand in his, hoping that the gesture would reassured her. "Neither can I, maybe it wasn't anything." he murmured back.

Looking around, the young female could feel the presence of eyes watching her. The hairs on the back of her neck prickled in alarm. "Ben." River said his name again.

The ex-harnessed male was by the window, peaking through the curtains, checking that the coast was clear. "Yeah?"

She took a deep breath, knowing the her instincts were most likely right. "I think...I think that there's something behind me."

"Wait, what?" he turned and then his eyes widened in shock, fear and defensiveness. "River," he warned her. "don't move."

She swallowed hard, clearly and understandably terrified. "What's behind me?" River asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

"A Skitter." Ben stared at it with such hatred. A blue glow appeared from behind him, illuminating the curtained wall, which could only mean one thing...

"B-Ben?" River whispered, paralysed with fear.

His face was emotionless, the boy River knew and, well, loved was no longer in control of his body. He was now one of them. He was now her enemy. Ben looked passed River and to the Skitter behind her. It was instantly clear that the two were communicating mentally. Tiver at that moment wished she had some way to intercept those brain waves and contact Ben. To bring him back to her.

A cold sweat began to trickle down her back, causing River to shiver despite the warmth her body appeared to be generating. Was this her adrenaline kicking into action?

Before she knew what was happening, the female heard the sound she most dreaded. It was a mechanical sound, continuous. Mechs. From behind the drawn curtains, light escape into the room through unseen gaps in the material, indicating that there was Mech just outside the safehouse.

Ben took one final look at the Skitter and then to River. "Resistance is futile." he said menacingly in that monotone, controlled voice.

That was when the hail of Mech bullets rained upon the unsuspecting members of the Second Mass, murdering them in their sleep.

XOX

"River! River, I need you to wake up for us now. River." a familiar voice coaxed her awake.

Sluggishly, the said female slowly opened her eyes. The surrouding world was hazy and took quite a bit of time to come into focus. River's body hurt like one giant bruise. Where was she?

Soon, her vision cleared, allowing her to see clearly. Then she screamed. She staring at Ben, who was currently looking as if he had been awoken abruptly. "River, calm down. It was just a dream!"

She sat up and despite the waves of nausea that were rolling over her, she managed to also stand without much staggering. She had been able to make it to staircase when her knees had given way. The female tumbled down the said stairs, hitting the ground floor with a sickening thud, which reverberated throughout the entire safe house.

If the earlier screaming hadn't awoken the other Masons, then River's loud crash certainly had. Tom ran down the stairs into the hall, gun in hand and was swiftly followed by an obviously sleepy Hal and Maggie. Next was Matt, who looked as if he was still asleep, his curly hair sticking up in odd directions.

Everything decended into chaos, Weaver was already breaking down the door. "TOM! Everyone alright?!" he called.

Pope was in second through the front door carrying what looked like a taser. A very sharp and possible pain-inflicting taser. For Ben, River thought woozily. "Who they Hell am I gonna have to shoot for wakin' me up?"