3

"Hey. Could you show me around? I'm quite lost." A deep melodic voice asked behind her. Sarah was walking down the hallway, heading for the library, and she looked up at Rowan, who casually strode beside her. Students stared and whispered to each other as they walked by.

"Why are you asking me?" She asked.

He raised a perfect eyebrow. "Should I not have? I can ask someone else for help if you don't want to..."

"No! I don't mind. I'd be glad to show you around." She interrupted, cheeks flushing. "I apologize if I came off as rude. I'm just surprised you came to me."

He smiled sweetly. "You're okay. I don't mind talking to you."

She cursed her pale skin, because she was sure her cheeks were tomato red. "Oh. Um, ok. Where are you trying to go? I warn you that I won't be the best tour guide. I'm only a freshman here so I'm still learning my way around."

"The library. I can't seem to find it on the map."

Sarah sighed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah. That map is pretty useless. Well, you're in luck, because that's where I'm heading, too. Follow me." She led him down a hallway and and down a few flights of stairs until they found the huge wooden doors of the library. "Here we are."

"Thank you." Rowan said as he opened the door and held it open for her. Flattered by his chivalry, she thanked him and stepped inside. The library was massive. It was the size of a large ballroom and quite cozy despite how spacious it was. Book shelves covered the walls from floor to ceiling. Ladders and winding steps led up to more floors and shelves. Sitting and studying areas were everywhere. A few computers were scattered here and there, and two large bronze tiger statues guarded the doorway.

"What are you here for?" Sarah asked him. Rowan looked around curiously, running his elegant hand over the back of a leather chair.

"I like to read. It gives me peace."

"Really? Me too." Reading was an escape for her. An escape from the nightmares and the chaos that was her life. The library was so peaceful. There were only a few other people in the library, and they were too busy studying or reading to pay any attention to them. "What's your favorite genre to read?"

Those piercing, oceanic eyes locked on hers as he answered. "Romance." The word rolled off his tongue like a caress. "I love stories about lovers and falling in love. I don't mind if they get a little...steamy."

The way he said that had her stomach fluttering and her breath catching in her throat. Calm down, she thought. We're just talking about books, for crying out loud. Still, she couldn't deny the way her soul was drawn to him; how her heart cried out for him and how her skin longed to feel his embrace. This is ridiculous! She hissed at herself, embarrassed. I just met this guy today. Why do I feel this way? Why is he so familiar?

"What about you?" Rowan asked her.

"I'll read anything, really. Drama, romance, horror, historical, nonfiction, fantasy, poetry, autobiographies, whatever. I don't really have a favorite genre."

They talked for a while about everything under the sun, from favorite books to music, to artists they like and more. The time passed quickly. She found she enjoyed simply talking to Rowan. He was very intelligent and a good listener, and had quite a cheeky sense of humor when the mood struck him.

"Hey, so I was wondering, what's your last name? You didn't mention one when you introduced yourself." Sarah asked.

"I don't have one." He said. "I don't know who my parents are. I was abandoned when I was a baby."

Sarah gasped and her eyes widened. "Oh, gosh. I'm sorry. That's terrible."

Rowan's expression was calm and unconcerned, as if they were discussing the weather. "It's alright. No need to be sorry. I was found and adopted into a new family. I just prefer to go by my first name."

Sarah swallowed. "I see."

"What about you? What's your family like?"

She sighed heavily. "A mess. My mother is a defense attorney lawyer, my older brother is in the military, and my dad disappeared when I was two years old and was never seen again. Mom won't talk about what happened to him or why he left."

"I'm sorry." Rowan said sympathetically.

She scowled down at her hands that were clenched in fists on her lap. "Mother is a worry wort. She always worries about me and my brother and is overprotective to the point where it's smothering. I don't blame her, though. After what happened to me twelve years ago."

Rowan cocked his head to the side, studying her face intensely with a curious expression. His long ponytail slid over his shoulder like silk, the lights in the room shined on it and brought out the blueish highlights in the inky strands. "What happened?"

"Oh, Sarah! Guess what! I have great new-oh. I'm sorry. Am I interrupting something?" Danni exclaimed out of nowhere, surprising them. Sarah didn't even hear her approach.

"No, it's fine." Said Sarah.

"I'll be heading to my next class, now." Said Rowan, pushing his chair back and rising to his feet. He gave the girls a polite nod. "I enjoyed our conversation, Miss Sarah. Hopefully we can continue during class tomorrow."

A light blush stained Sarah's cheeks. She was sad to see him go. "I enjoyed it, too. See you tomorrow."

After he left the library, Danni pounced. "Oh girrrl, you are one lucky duck. Has he asked you out yet?"

Sarah rolled her eyes. "No, he didn't ask me out. We were just talking, that's all. What's this great news you want to tell me?"

"Oh! Well, Jason and his friends invited me, you, and Sam to a little party down at the beach this weekend. We can bring food, drinks, music, whatever. It should be fun. What do you say?"

"Sorry, Danni, but I can't go."

"But why not? It'll be fun."

"You know how I feel about the ocean, Danni."

She pouted. "I know, but you don't have to go into the ocean or anything. You can just chill on the beach and sunbathe or something. Please?"

"I'm sorry, Danni."

"Please please please? I can't go without my best friends, you know? Pleeease!"

Sarah sighed. "No, Danni."

Danni harrumphed and flopped down in the seat, crossing her arms. "Then I won't go, either. I won't go to the party without you."

When she wanted to be, Danni could be as stubborn as a mule. Nothing would budge her once she made up her mind about something, and Sarah knew that she would bug her about it until she eventually said yes. That, and it was hard to say no to her when she made those pleading puppydog eyes.

"Fine. I'll go. But I'm not going swimming." Said Sarah.

Danni squealed and launched herself at her, wrapping her arms around her neck and squeezing her like a boa constrictor.

"Yes! Thank you! Oh, I can't wait! I'm going to go tell Sam!" She bolted to her feet and hurried out of the library. Her energy and enthusiasm was infectious and had Sarah smiling after she left.

She was nervous. The last time she was anywhere near the ocean was when she was six and nearly drowned. Going to the beach would surely bring back flashbacks and panic attacks. As long as I don't go near the water, I'll be fine, she told herself. She didn't want to disappoint her friend.