Sixteen

April 21, 2019
Sunday

••••••••

"Ky, can you go get your daddy and tell him that dinner is ready?"

"Absolutely." She ran off to go find Antwon who was probably in his office replying to emails. I had found myself spending a lot of time with Antwon and Shay when I wasn't working. I felt a sense of peace that I hadn't felt in a while and Antwon made me feel safe in a weird sort of way. "He's coming now."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." She smiled and went back to watching her cartoons. He walked into the kitchen and stretched with a smile but I could see the tiredness in his eyes.

"You can go sit down at the table."

"Bre, you didn't have to cook for us you know."

"I'm happy to do it." I went to walk past him but he stopped me by the waist and I looked up at him. "What?"

"Kyrah and I are not your responsibility so you don't need to feel like you owe me for me letting you be here with us."

"I don't think that, I just love to cook and I don't mind doing it for you and Ky." He looked me over once again before letting me go and I went to put the last thing on the table. "Ky, do you want to come sit down and eat dinner with your Daddy?"

"Coming." She paused her cartoons and ran over to the table.

"Go wash your hands first sweetie." She didn't protest as she ran off to the bathroom to wash her hands and I went back to the kitchen to finish cleaning up.

"You're not joining us?"

"No, I'll eat later."

"But you made enough for yourself right?" I shook my head no and he sighed. "I'm not trying to have your mom kill me thinking that I'm over here starving you." He walked over to me and took the wash rag from me. "Come, you're going to be eat off my plate."

"I'm fine, I'll get something to eat later."

"You can either come willingly or I'll pick you up and carry you over there."

"Fine." I followed him back to the table just as Kyrah came back from washing her hands. I say down on the opposite side of the table across from Kyrah and he sat at the head. He said grace before we started eating and I could feel his eyes on me the entire time.

••••••••