Chapter 6

After putting my clothes back on, I climbed into the car with Rafe.

"So tell me something" He starts "What were you doing hanging out on this side of the island with those dirty pouges?"

"Oh calm down they're not that bad" I rolled my eyes at him

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" His voice was low and serious

"Well you're being ridiculous" I turned away from him and stared out the window

"Oh, I'm being ridiculous? You're the one who was recklessly swimming about with people you don't even know"

"They're Sarah's friends, I trust them"

"They're parasites"

"Parasites really? I always knew you had a flare for the dramatic Rafe but this is on a whole new level." He clutched the steering wheel tighter, his knuckles turning white.

"They've filled Sarah's head with all these ideas and stories. They're brainwashing her, I don't want the same to happen to you"

"Wow brainwashing?"

"They've got her running around the island chasing something that doesn't even exist" Wait is he talking about the gold? "They even convinced her to leave home"

"Wow, now they sound like real criminals" I purposefully let the sarcasm play out in my voice

"Maria I'm being serious; I don't want you getting hurt" He placed his hand on my thigh.

"Yeah yeah I got it, protective boyfriend and all that"

"What's your dad gonna say about this anyway?"

"Nothing because he won't find out" I looked over at Rafe but he continued to stare directly at the road "He's not gonna find out, right Rafe?" I asked again, more serious this time

"What do you expect me to say Maria?"
"Just tell him I was with Sarah shopping or something, please?" He stayed quiet for a moment

"Fine"

"Thank you" I sighed with relief

"But you're coming with me to the bonfire tomorrow night"

"Deal"

For the rest of the ride, we spoke about my time in London and just about random things. Sarah was right though, there was something about Rafe that was different. He was more distant, like there was something at the back of his mind that was irritating him. But no matter how many times I asked, he just brushed it off saying that he had a headache. Yeah right, maybe it has something to do with his bruised knuckles? Whatever it was, I was gonna find out. After around 10 minutes we arrived at my house. Rafe got out with me, and we both went inside.

"Rafe you found her, I knew I could rely on you" My dad strutted out of the large kitchen and walked up to us, patting Rafe on the back.

"Well you know me, I'll always be here to protect her" Rafe replied winking at me. What a load of bullshit, he's just sucking up to my dad like always.

"So where was she?" My dad asked again

"Um hello? I'm right here" I said loudly

"Hanging out with Sarah I presume?" He ignored me

"Can you stop treating me like a 5-year-old who needs a babysitter?"

"When you stop acting like a 5-year-old, then I'll stop treating you like one" My dad retorted glaring down at me. I heard Rafe chuckle beside me. Oh, for god sake.