Chapter 3

I stumbled out of the bathroom, heart still pounding in my chest and butterflies still fluttering in my stomach. Pull yourself together Maria, you have a boyfriend! Distant voices echoed around the small house. I crept down the corridor, silently making my way to the door.

"No don't be stupid that won't work" A girls voice sounded from one of the rooms

"It's going to work, I know it will" a boy protested

"You don't know anything"

"Both of you shut up" I could recognise Sarah's voice anytime

"If we want to get the gold out of the well, we just need some rope and a bag, simple" Wait did he say gold? Now I'm intrigued.

"No not simple, a bag won't hold 20,000 pounds of gold dumbass"

What has Sarah gotten herself into? Digging out gold, that sounds crazy. I tried not to eavesdrop, but my curiosity got the best of me. Shuffling closer, I pinned my ear to the door, desperately trying to listen.

"Maybe we'll just get a crane to do it"

"Where are we gonna get a crane from?"

"I don't know but that's the best idea we've got"

"That's not even close to a good idea"

"Do you have a better one?"

"I'm telling you the bag and rope idea will work"

"Oh my god you guys are killing me" There were about 4 or 5 voices arguing with each other.

Wait so they're trying to bring some gold out of a well? I couldn't believe my ears. Gold, really? However, I also couldn't believe how foolish they all were. It's actually quite simple, I knew exactly what they needed. The feeling of rushing in the room and telling them how to do it properly washed over me. But if I did then they would know I was listening this whole time.

"What if we brought it up piece by piece?" Oh god no, that wouldn't work. I tried to fight the desire to run in, but I failed. I couldn't take it anymore. Pushing open the door, I rushed into the middle of the room, facing everyone.

"Okay firstly neither of your ideas are gonna work" I started "A rope isn't gonna hold that much weight, it'll snap." Sarah scrunched her face in confusion, trying to work out what I was doing.

"If what I heard was correct, and you guys aren't hallucinating about finding gold, then you'll need specialised climbing equipment to carry out that much weight" Looking across the room, my gaze met a pair of blue eyes. It was the blonde boy from earlier, an amused look plastered to his face.

"Maria what-" Sarah started

"Yes I know I shouldn't have eavesdropped but I have all the stuff you need at home" I stared at the group, their eyes wide and mouths hung open in disbelief

"Damn I did not see that coming" John B chuckled

"Sorry am I missing something?" A girl sitting opposite Sarah said

"Oh uh this is Maria my best friend who moved to London last year. She's gonna be here the whole summer"

She pulled me to the corner of the room, "You were supposed to wait outside" she whispered

"Look I promise I won't tell anyone about...whatever this is but trust me it'll work. I've seen my dad use it before"

"Are you sure this could work?" A different darker boy questioned from across the room

"Positive"

"Well then, you should have eavesdropped sooner, it would have saved us from JJ's terrible idea" John B laughed

"Hey- it was a good idea, and you know it" So that was his name...JJ

"You can't tell anyone though" Sarah put both her hands on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eyes

"Won't tell a soul"

"Well if you're sure its gonna work, then we have a plan" The other girl smiled. "I'm Kiara by the way" She walked towards to me "Over there we have thing one and thing two" She pointed at John B and JJ "and that's pope" she gestured to the darker boy who gave me a little wave.

"It's nice to meet you all, honestly I'm sorry about eavesdropping, I'll go now"

"Hey, don't be silly stay for a bit, you gave us a great idea after all" John B said

"You know what" Sarah started "Maria and I were headed down to the beach, you guys wanna tag along?"

"Couldn't turn down a good surf" JJ smiled

"Yeah, let's do it" the others chimed in

"Then after we can get this climbing equipment you told us about"

"Perfect, I've completely forgotten how to surf, but I'll try my best" I chuckled nervously

"Don't worry I can help you" JJ placed a hand on my shoulder, sending a sweet electrical current up my arm.

"Oh god if you let JJ help you, you'll crash in seconds" Pope joked

"Hey, don't listen to him, everyone knows that I'm the best surfer here"

"Keep telling yourself that man" I couldn't help but laugh. Looking up I met JJs gaze. I don't blush much but there was something about his smile that just made my stomach flutter. This was going to be one epic summer.