❝Mirrors❞

Girl.

I'd seen a couple of guys get up, both wearing capes, and as they headed back into the dark into the fair I couldn't get a good look at them.

Not until a woman called him, worried.

Robert.

I started to listen more, it was the lady from the tree house, her husband was holding her shoulder reassuring her, and next to her was also Simon Gallup's mother.

Robert. Robert. Robert.

What had happened to that moody boy now?

Before I knew what he was doing, I had already given Janis the stuffed cat. I got up from the table looking sideways at the sight of my father on me, he was getting up behind me, but Alice had arrived. I took advantage of that to run towards the food stalls and lights of all colours.

I searched in all directions, why did I care?

I couldn't deny that from the beginning he had caught my attention, maybe because he looked mysterious, or because he had nothing else to do.

"Zoe" called little Helena, she had cotton candy in her hands, "I thought you were in the barn"

"I lost track of you," I said distractedly still looking for the boy "You were with your brother right?" she nodded.

"But my nephew was hungry" she pouted, she loved talking about her nephews, she thought it was funny to have them, at her age "Shall we go back to the house of mirrors?"

"It's just..." I stood on my toes trying to visualize something "...Well. Ok" I say finally, exhausted because there is no way of knowing where those boys went and because of the pretty face of the little blonde waiting like any girl to have a good time in a game that soon became her favourite too.

We headed there in a hurry, luckily the line was not very long, I paid for both tickets because the redeemable tickets had sold out for hours. And it didn't cost me anything to treat Helena to something.

He gave me a smile as he entered, they were dark corridors, with white and blue lights that flickered, the mirrors formed confusing labyrinths, forming a square, you could see everything outside, and that made it more confusing.

She yanked on my arm, then let go of me and ran off.

"Catch me!" she yelled before her reflection tripled in the glass and I could barely keep track of him.

Laughing, I followed her as best I could, accidentally bumping into people who were also enjoying the game. Helena was right in front of me, her golden hair fluttered with every step, she was happy and I really liked seeing her like that. She had become important to me from the moment I met her.

"I have you!" I yelled, but instead of taking her by the shoulders, my knuckles collided with the glass in front of me, the girl ran behind me losing herself once more, I snorted amused, wanting to turn again in search of catching her but a blow made me jump in my place

I looked up instantly fearing that the person would fall on me, forgetting for a moment the glass that separated us.

I met those eyes, noticing the bluish colour in them for the first time when I had thought they were green or brown.

He had thin lips parted, a breathless and surprised look, I smiled at him slowly hoping he wouldn't go away, and he didn't. He just stood very still, his pale cheeks turning a crimson pink which gave him an adorable touch.

I looked at the blood that ran from his mouth, thinking for a moment that it was because of the hit until I realized that his costume was a vampire. Like mine. Obviously without a dress, but a wrinkled button-down shirt with a red-stained lace collar, making it look like an authentic Halloween collectable doll, the kind you would put on the nightstand fearing it would break.

"Hello" I said after a while, pressing my hand to the glass, we looked at each other for a moment, then his eyes ran to where my hand was, raising his slowly, as if the fingers were slowly dancing, placing it right in front of mine, as if they could touch.

"Hello" he formulated with his lips, but I couldn't hear, he was just on the other side and the glass prevented me from hearing him.

"Don't move" I ordered frowning a little, looking for an entrance to get past the other end. he looked at me confused pointing to his ears as a sign that he wasn't listening either. "Do not move!" I said again more slowly, trying to get him to read my lips

"Let's get out of here" he pointed to a place behind him, I guessed that's where the end of the game was. Was he going to wait for me to come to his side? Or would you run away from me? "I'll wait for you outside" he said, just like me trying to stick to the glass, speaking slowly.

I nodded quickly.

Shocked and confused.

What was he supposed to say? I didn't understand myself, I shouldn't have asked him not to move.

Also, where was Helena?

I wasn't sure about waiting until the little girl crossed my path, I was also worried that the boy wasn't very patient.

I walked backwards, the way I had originally come.

I could wait for Helena outside.

(...)

Boy.

Let's get out of here.

Robert bit his knuckles, propping himself up from one foot to the other, thinking he might pass out at any moment.

He took a deep breath, he could do it, they would just talk, but what was he going to tell her? After being so, dry, that time in B. He had to silence his fearful side, the one that made him speak defensively.

He looked at the girl around the mirrors, receiving her with a nervous smile, her arms were crossed, with the black cape hiding her left shoulder, the dress she was wearing was strapless, leaving her neck and clavicle exposed, and her skin seemed like porcelain, frail, moving with her own grace, her mascara smeared a little, and her boots brushed aside the grass with each step.

"Hello" he said again, looking at the dimple that formed in her cheek, and how it touched the strands of her bangs. "I... The other day... I understand that we don't know each other, but I just wanted to know about you" she shrugged "No new faces to be seen, besides I don't know hardly anyone, and I'm talking like crazy now..." she giggled "I just want to say, I'm sorry"

"Okay," he said, biting his lower lip.

One question, in particular, rolled through his mind, desperate to get out of his mouth.

"Is that guy your boyfriend?"

"I have to look for my friend, I left her in the mirrors" she pointed behind her, she seemed embarrassed. Robert remembered Simon, he had also left him there. "Do you think... Well, I don't know if you want... But tomorrow I'll be at the flower shop, do you know where it is?"

"Yes, I know" he replied eager to continue listening

"I'll deliver some things, around ten o'clock... Maybe we could meet, and chat a bit" she touched her bangs again "Only if you want, as I said, you don't see many new faces"

This was a dream. He felt that soon she would wake up in his bed, cold and lonely, dragging his feet to the window, thinking of things to say to the girl. But a gust of wind let him know that he was in reality, standing with a stranger who had captivated his senses as nothing moved him for a long time.

"Okay, I'll see you there" he answered, at last, trying to make his voice be heard above the sudden screams of the people who were at the top of the roller coaster.

Robert felt there at that moment.

"Fine" her smile spread "Happy Halloween Robert" she finally said, turning around to go back to the wonderful game, which seemed stupid a few minutes ago.

It was without a doubt, the best Halloween party.