❝Greenwich❞

Neutral Boy.
Cold, wet and slippery.

They were the best adjectives he found to describe the road to town. Wallace was driving his father's car, he would stop every so often to explain the names of the hills that were insignificant at first glance.

He looked carefully at the entrance to the village, a wooden sign with the engraved letters that said Greenwich and some symbols underneath that he could not understand."They're runes" Wallace's voice brought him out of his trance, the man's eyes looked at him through the rear-view mirror "They mean destiny, the town is very old"

Robert looked out the window once more. Would that town be a guide to fate?

By the time the dirt road turned to asphalt, and buildings and constructions began to be seen, he was quite surprised to realize that it was not a ghost town. Despite the bad rain last night, people came and went everywhere, strangely most of them waved and smiled.

They parked in front of the square, it occupied a block from there, it had three entrances that led to a pale pink flowering tree, around it, there were a lot of more places that seemed to protect it, a library, the post office, and a curio shop.

"The town fair is in a few weeks, the pumpkin harvest is celebrated in the north field" he pointed to another street as if from there they could appreciate what he was explaining "It's a great party"

"I have to send some papers" announced his father with some letters in his hands, always working "Go for a walk" he smiled.

"Mrs Smith, do you want to see the flower shop?"

"I would love to!" she responded with emotion, Robert rolled his eyes, it was the only thing she talked about the whole trip. They are supposed to have an infinity of wildflowers that she wanted to plant.

"I'll catch up with you later," said the boy, none of the adults heard him.

He turned around observing the place, he wanted to find something amazing, but nothing caught his attention. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his coat and decided on the library. At least he would find something to take home.

(...)

Strange Girl.

The wind was nice, the faster I went, the harder it blew my cheeks.I stood still on the bike as I dodged a pothole, pedalled harder, and then let it go on its own.

"Good morning Zoe!"

"Hello, Mrs Adler!" I said without turning around, I knew her voice very well, she was the owner of the library and a friend of my father.

I tied the bike near the ice cream parlour that was closed and took the two small sacks that rested in the basket in front of it. The doorbell seemed to welcome me, the smell of pollen and sweet perfumes reached my nostrils, I could hear the bubbling of the water from the miniature-size fountain on the counter, and the voices of some ladies there, all pointing to different petals and rummaging among the pots or decorations.

"Hi Tracy," I said to a girl with brown hair, she was wearing mud-soaked gardening gloves and big glasses.

"Zoe, you are early"

"I brought the sunflower seeds, and gardenias" I handed her the sacks, she smiled complacently.

"Let me take this off" she raised her hands for her to understand what she meant and was lost through a sliding glass door.

I admired the colourful birdhouses, we had one for hummingbirds, but none seemed bothered enough to wander around.

"They are tulips, you see?" I turned around curious, a woman who didn't seem from around here was looking everywhere in amazement.

I looked at the pink gloves on her hands that matched her coat, and her high-heeled slippers. A slim stiletto heel. How she could handle wearing that.

"Yes, they are magnificent" she approached the counter with a couple of pots," Tracy did not take long to appear.

"I see you already chose Mrs Smith"

"I am delighted with everything, it's magnificent" she repeated that word with emphasis, and I repeated it in my mind. "What are they?" she pointed to my sacks.

"They will be gardenias" I replied a little shy "and sunflowers"

"Splendid, at this time?" she looked at me with bright eyes.

"If anyone can do it, it's her" intervened the girl, they both looked at me as if juggling on top of a tricycle. My cheeks flamed. "The best flowers are on her way, and she is so kind to bring them to me."

She handed me a bill and some coins, I put them in my jacket and looked away from those women.

"Have a good day" I left slowly with the blush still on my face.

I will never get used to someone watching me for so long.