❝Costumes and Witches❞

Boy.

"You did what?!"

A few people who were reading turned to look at Simon reluctantly, he just ignored him, but Robert was ashamed.
He bit his lower lip remembering the girl's face.

"I'm not going to repeat it" he whispered.

"I don't understand, you like her, you find her and then... you get rude with her?" he shook his head several times in disapproval.

"I don't like her" he assured reluctantly "It's like if I knew her... I don't know... she leaves me unable to say something, and that bothers me, I don't know what is it, but it irritated me a lot"

He paused, there were so many things to say, to meet her, so many things to ask. And the only thing he did at that moment was to take her away from him, perhaps even making her annoying, as much as she is with him without saying a word.

"You have to fix it" the boy's voice became very serious.

"But how?"

"No idea, I'll think of something" he shrugged.

"You promised to tell me what you knew about her"

"Ah, yes, but it's not much" he took out a piece of paper that was behind the counter, "The neighbour tells my mother everything all the time, to my bad luck" he grunted "Let's see, your girl lives after B, it's the last house in the south or something like that, near where you were yesterday, his father is the village veterinarian, he is recognized by the assembly, I don't know, he's a good guy, but he scares me"

"Assembly?"

"Yeah, whatever, Barnett, she doesn't have a mother, I don't know what exactly happened, hell, I forgot" he stuck his tongue out between his lips turning the paper looking for more text "She died in an accident or something like that... Yes I think it was that, nobody talks about that, it was a tragedy... Robert attracts tragedies "he commented amusedly

"I'm screwed," he said trying to sound derisive but instead he sounded without much encouragement.

"Nah, I was going to tell you someth... Ah!"

"Shhh" a lady who took some cooking magazines very close to them, looked at them almost with hatred.

"Pay for those magazines!" he showed her the badly hanging badge on his shirt, it was a photo of him with a clueless face and his name "I'm a staff at the bookstore, I make whatever noise I like"

The lady turned, grumbling under her breath. The two of them were silent until she disappeared from their field of vision, Simon settled on the bench where he was sitting, and moved his fingers over the counter.

"What were you going to tell me?" Robert reminded him.

"Ah! The harvest party" he saw a huge smile on his face "Tell me, would you wear a costume?"

(...)

Girl.
She had a cape and Helena was holding fake fangs in her little hands, she was smiling at me as she glanced at an extremely short skirt. I just shook my head at her, making her shrug and laugh.

"I imagined it" she smiled at me.

"Just because I listen to punk doesn't mean I have to show it off"

"What is punk?" her eyes fixed on mine, very fixed and curious.

"A genre music genre, but don't say I listen to it, you know how people are" I handed her a very ugly mask of a red devil or something, with a tangle of fake dark hair. She put it on without problem "What costume will you wear?"

"I'm gonna be a witch" she looked at herself in the mirror that was behind them, making movements with her arms in the air "I read Salem's cases, it seemed like a good book"

"Did you read the Salen Witches?" in a way it didn't surprise me, she was a box of surprises and clever words. That is why I liked talking to her, she asked about what she did not know yet and the next day, she could know more about it than you.

"Yes, I was interested to know what happens when rumours start" she reached for a brown vest that she hung next to a hood.

"What?" "Nothing, we live in a small town, do you think?" she took a very long brown skirt "Do you know anything about the England family?"

Just remembering the boy I rolled my eyes, I thought about it for a while pretending to see some dresses before answering.

"Nothing, I didn't see anyone"

"I see... I'm not interested, Luna wants to know if the boy is attractive, she hopes to see him at the party, it's crazy, don't you think?"

"I guess she can do what she thinks is right," I said, not very convinced, that had bothered me. There was a certain suspicion in my words. "Do you already have your costume?"

"Ready" we went to the exit to pay, the whole store was full of candles, flowerpots, paintings, figures of angels and crucifixes. "It's funny that we celebrate the pumpkin harvest, it's an excuse to be able to celebrate Halloween"

"Yes, but let's pretend we don't know like everyone else" I winked at her making her laugh.

"Zoe, will your father take you to the farm?"

"I don't know, if I go with him, we'll be early and he would help Alice decorate the field"

"And you don't like Alice very much"

"It bothers me that she tries to take care of me" I looked at a couple of knives on sale from the other side of the street, we both smiled confidentially "But it will be worth it if I finally manage to shape the pumpkins"