Chapter Fifty-Two

"Write to me as soon as you get a chance, dearest

"Write to me as soon as you get a chance, dearest. I would like to know how everything goes." Violet gave her son a stern look and he nodded.

"Of course, Mother. I shall keep you updated." He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before following Madeleine into the carriage.

There was palpable tension in the air as the two sat in the carriage, both slightly upset with the other. Madeleine could not understand how Benedict would be so willing to terminate the pregnancy, to end their baby's life. Benedict, on the other hand, was appalled by Madeleine's willingness to go through with a pregnancy she knew would likely kill her. Both felt as though the other was being rather selfish.

About an hour into the ride, Benedict glanced over at Madeleine. She stared out the window, her hands clasped together in her lap. He did not miss the way her fingers fidgeted and the anxiety radiating off of her body. He bit his lip, wanting to hold her hand and tell her that it would be okay. Instead, he simply turned to look out the opposite window, staring out with a defeated look on his face.

He could not imagine what his life would be like without Madeleine in it. She had always been a part of him long before they had even realized their feelings for one another. He knew that he could not bear to live in a world in which she did not exist.

Madeleine glanced over at him when he turned away, eyeing his slightly slumped shoulders and the frown on his face. She felt guilty for being angry with him, but not quite guilty enough to agree to terminate the pregnancy. She subconsciously placed a hand on her bump, thinking about the little life growing in there. She and Benedict had wanted so badly for a child and she was absolutely willing to risk her life if it meant finally achieving that. She looked back over to him, sighing softly as she watched him.

"Benedict?" Her voice was a whisper, and his head snapped up at the sound of his name. She scooted closer to him, watching him with tentative eyes.

"I do not like fighting with you." She took his hand in hers, staring into his eyes. He sighed and rubbed his thumb slowly over the back of her hand.

"Nor do I." He leaned forward and kissed her forehead slowly and she subconsciously leaned into his touch.

"Could you at least try to understand where I am coming from? I can not lose another baby." Her voice was shaky as she looked up at him.

"Madeleine, I can not lose you. My world is entirely pointless without you by my side. If you were to have this baby and it killed you, I could not face it. I could not ever look at the face of our child without feeling the pain of losing you all over again." He sighed, squeezing her hand. "I know it would be absolutely torturous to live through another loss but if it meant I could still spend the rest of my life with you, then I would take that any day."

She frowned softly, leaning her head on his shoulder. "Maybe this expert, whoever he is, maybe he will find a solution for us, and for our baby." She whispered. He smiled softly and nodded, wrapping his arm around her.