16 | aftermath

***********************************************************************

After another long day of questions and answers, Edward takes me to his favorite meadow again. He rests himself against a tree, with his back against the trunk and one leg straight out in front of him on the grass. His other leg is propped up in a bent position.

I'm facing Edward, sitting on the grass slightly between his straight leg and the other bent one. I have my knees to my chest, clutching them with my hands.

It's peaceful out here in the meadow. The sun is shining down on us. Of course, it's making Edward's skin sparkle like diamonds. He has his coat slightly open to allow the sun to hit his chest as well. Edward enjoys the warmth of the sun on his cold skin, and he wants to feel it as much as possible.

I notice that Edward has his eyes closed. Even his eyelids sparkle in the sunlight. I admire their beauty.

Feeling a bit playful, I pick up a random leaf from off the ground. I bring the leaf up to Edward's face and wiggle its soft tip against his nose.

Edward's full, red lips crack into a grin. He softly pushes my hand away and opens his eyes. "I thought you were tired," he teases.

"I was," I answer, "but I was just . . . curious."

Edward arches a perfect eyebrow. His lips pull into a grin. "Now what is it this time?" he asks.

I look away from him, embarrassed. "Don't make fun of me, but I wanted to know if you were ticklish." I look back at him. A sheepish grin now on my face.

Edward pulls his head back. "Awe, the classic question," he muses.

"So are you?" I press.

He doesn't answer my question. He only leans back against the trunk of the tree and closes his eyes again.

I can't believe Edward is trying to play coy with me. He should know that's not going to work. Now that I'm more intrigued than ever, I slowly bring one of my hands to Edward's exposed chest and start to wiggle my fingers against the diamond-like skin. I start slowly at first then intense the speed.

It takes a moment for Edward to react. In his usual rapid speed, he grabs my wrist and holds it safely away from his chest. His eyes flutter open in exasperation. "You just can't keep your hands to yourself, can you?" he taunts.

A wicked smirk forms on his face, and without warning, as fast as a blur, I'm pushed back to the ground with Edward now above me. He has his hands on the ground on either side of my body. I try to get back up, but he playfully pushes me back down with one hand.

"Where do you think you're going?" he laughs. "Now that you know I'm ticklish, I want to know if you're ticklish. It's only fair."

I quickly shake my head. "Of course I'm ticklish. Pretty much every human is ticklish," I state the obvious, hoping that will influence him to let me go.