Chapter 16

Laura has spent the best part of the day getting ready, he was due at 3.00 pm. How do you dress to impress a big tv, radio and dance star? She looked at her wardrobe, she didn't have the money to splash on designer goods. She noticed Perri had classy but very expensive taste. Her month's wages were probably what he earned in a single day. She spent her tiny disposable income on her hair and a new pair of shoes. She had begged her flatmates to do her eyebrows, lashes and nails. There was one outfit she considered passible, a black sequinned mini dress, she wanted to show him what she considered her best feature, her long legs. Years of gym and cheerleading gave her an enviable body shape. Her phone announced a new message, she looked at the screen, it was from Perri. She immediately panicked that he was cancelling. She held the phone like it was a live bomb, she wasn't sure she was ready to read that. Tensing up she opened the message.

[Bring casual and fancy clothes...trainers and heels, P x]

She breathed out the air she didn't realise she was holding. 'OK....that is much better than being ditched'. She thought for a moment and typed back.

[What do I wear first?] It was seconds before a reply beeped back.

[trainers] Sometimes he was a man of few words, she chuckled to herself and put her outfit into a suit carrier. She surveyed herself in the mirror and looked disappointed, she wasn't going to make that killer first impression with jeans and a t-shirt and trainers. She tutted and made sure her hair and make up kit also went into her bag.

The doorbell rang and her flatmates screamed. They were massive Diversity fans and when she told them about her job, they had hounded her for backstage passes. She hadn't managed to get them in yet, but they forgave her for the chance to see Perri Kiely in their home. She could hear the commotion of the high-pitched excited voices of her two flatmates and a deeper, slightly panicked one, she recognised as Perri. She hurried to gather her things so she could rescue him.

She entered the lounge to a comedic scene. Two girls draped over Perri trying to get selfies, Perri, not knowing which camera to look at, was doing his best to flit between them with a double teeth row grin that looked more like a grimace than a smile. When he saw her he mouthed HELP. She couldn't stop her laughter.

"Girls, I need him in one piece tonight." she managed to breath out. She took his hand and pulled him towards the door. "I'll see you guys later."

Perri took her bag as they jogged down the stairs. She didn't know what his car looked like so she let him lead her. He had taken her hand this time, maybe encouraged by her rescue upstairs. He stopped on the pavement next to a black audi. He put her bag and suit carrier in the boot and opened the passenger side door with a pointed look. She was not going to fight him on this tonight, in fact, she was going to enjoy it.

"So where are we going?" She knew he wouldn't say but she asked anyway.

"Somewhere" was his cryptic reply. He was focussed on the road, but she could see him smiling.

They headed into central London. He parked in an underground carpark in the old bank district, before they all moved to Canary Wharf. A silver plaque on the wall next to the basement lift said 1 Sky Garden Walk. Perri had Laura's and his bags in one hand and her hand in the other. She was really enjoying the feel of his warm hands, they completely swallowed her own and felt so strong even in a loose grip, he rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb, stimulating her nerves in areas that were previously dormant. The numbers on the lift glowed upwards all the way to the 38th floor which was the top floor. No one else entered the lift but it was still afternoon so she wondered where everyone was. As the doors opened, a suited and heeled woman greeted them.

"Welcome Mr Kiely and Miss Smith" she intoned and nodded as Perri returned her greeting. "Your Sky Gardens experience awaits." She said. Laura looked around the floor they had just walked onto. It was stunning, there were huge plants everywhere, the massive glass windows showcased what seemed like the whole of London. The sun had set now so the bright city lights looked amazing. She indicated they enter a room off the large atrium. Perri squeezed her hand a little and lean in to speak to her.