Chapter 06- Part 01

I couldn't sleep a wink.

All night, I was tossing and turning, thoughts about what might have happened to Ivaan bringing me closer and closer to the edges of anxiety. Even during the little sleep I got, I succumbed to nightmares about Ivaan.

In short, I was extremely sleep-deprived.

Without even an ounce of motivation to go to work, I put on the first outfit I saw and went downstairs to meet Priya and Gopal. They were already in the living room by the time I got there. The two of them looked to be in terrible shape. Gopal sported the darkest pair of dark circles I had ever seen. Priya's eyes were blood-red and extremely swollen. Clearly, they haven't slept well.

We all came to a unilateral conclusion to skip breakfast and head straight to the police station. None of us had an appetite besides knowing that we had to eat. Bidding goodbye to my father, I drove the grieving parents to the station.

Once at the police station, I directed them towards an officer to file their case and headed in to clock in for work.

As I walked towards my desk, Kalisha rushed over to me, worry written all over her face.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" she questioned. I had called her late last night to inform of the incident, and because I needed somebody to lean on.

"It still feels unreal, Kali. I can't believe he's gone," I croaked out, tears welling up in my eyes instantly. instinctively, Kalisha pulled me in for a hug.

"we'll find him, Drithi. Along with all the other kids. We will definitely find them," she reassured, rubbing my back as she said so. After about a minute or so in the embrace, I swallowed my sadness and pulled away from her. Wiping my tears, I looked at Kalisha.

"we will find him," I tried to sound firm, but I doubt I sounded anything like it. I tried to shake myself out of the trance-like state I was in. I had to push through. I didn't have time to grieve now. Many kids' lives were in danger-including Ivaan's. every second that passed was precious.

Kalisha looked at me, the worried look still very much apparent.

"Dee, don't push yourself too hard. Why don't you take a few days off? The chief will definitely agree to it in light of the situation you are in. you don't look too good," she mentioned. I shook my head in response.

"no can do. You don't have to worry. I'll be fine," I flashed a small smile at her before continuing, "besides, I won't be able to rest until I have Ivaan safe by my side."

Kalisha let out a sigh and nodded her head.

"alright. I'll take your word for it then. But promise me you will talk to me if you don't feel good, okay?"

I nodded my head in response.

"Detective Sharma, the chief would like to speak to you," one of the other detectives said, beckoning at me. I muttered a quick "yes sir" and started heading towards the chief's office. I glanced over to Kalisha one last time, who sent me a nod of affirmation, before turning to the chief's office.

I knocked on the door thrice before entering.

♧♧♧

I don't know what to say on here. Had a pretty busy week and it's going to get busier. I'm moving to university in exactly 4 days. AAAAAAAAHHHHH! I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be scared or excited.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. The next update will be next Saturday. I'll make sure of it!

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!

Adeus!
(Portuguese)

02/07/2022