chapter twenty

twenty

I kicked my heel against the brick wall once more and stood up straight, I looked around the small and abandoned parking lot. Only few cars were parked in it, most of the cars belonged to the customers of the diner. Most of the businesses were discontinued or closed for the day. I wasn't sure exactly what day it was- I regret trying to my mother rather than use to journal as a diary. I assumed it was Sunday, though.

I carried myself into the diner, as soon as I opened the door I was faced with Harry's back. I didn't bother to talk to him, I knew he wouldn't acknowledge me if I did. So I silently sat on a waiting chair, looking down at the floor. It didn't surprise me as much as it used to that Harry had the audacity to be angry with me when that's the only emotion I should feel towards him. But this time, I believed that Harry wasn't angry with me. Perhaps, he was devastated and a little broken down by my words, but if anything he was angry at himself. He was angry with himself because the love of his life had just told him that she dreamt to live a life without him.

I couldn't help but feel bad, I should've kept those few words to myself. We would both still be in our earlier happy state and we would actually be talking to each other. I hated that I wanted to talk to him all of the time, I hated that I rather see his face than any other. I knew that Harry and I met when we were younger, but I couldn't remember and still, there was something about him that I can't quite figure out.

I folded my arms over my chest at the sudden goosebumps rising upon my arms, I stole a glance at Harry. I did a double take, he was already staring at me- nothing that hadn't happened before. I looked away quickly, biting my lip. I heard the clicking of his boots and then he was sitting next to me. I didn't look up at him, his mood swings were really giving me a headache. I sighed deeply and leaned back in the chair, I felt his eyes on me.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be angry with you." He spoke closely to my ear and I flinch at the proximity. I merely turned my head, realizing that if I turned it any further then our lips would touch and I wasn't going to give in. I nodded my head and sighed heavily. "You're right when you say that you haven't gotten to experience what enough feels like. But I can't let anyone other than myself hurt you. Only I know what I'm capable of and I can't bring myself to let you go and get hurt. Fuck, I wish I wasn't so selfish- all of this would be easier." He relaxed in his seat. I turned my head to look at him, it surprised me that he was able to admit to being selfish.

"You sure do wish for things a lot..." I muttered.

"I do, don't I?" He half smiled.

"You know what I wish for?" I rose my eyebrows before continuing, "I wish that you'd stop being so bipolar and go to a therapy class to control all of those emotions you carry everyday." I rolled my eyes, chuckling to myself a bit. Harry broke out a wider smile at the sound of my laughter and placed his hand on my knee like he'd done before.

"I wish for that too." He said jokingly, laughing. I was relieved by how quickly I was able to change his mood. Hearing him laugh and watching him smile was better than seeing him frown. I absentmindedly leant towards him and placed a gentle kiss on his lips, muting both of our laughter. We stared at each other in shock and I tried to avoid eye contact.

I heard him smile, our faces were so close. He whispered, "I like when you kiss me like that, Charlotte. Please, do it again." He breathed. My cheeks tinted a shade of red and if he were looking in my eyes, he could see that my thoughts were going wild. I began to lean forward again, but was cut off by the loud clicking of heels. I turned my head quickly, the waitress making her way over to us. I stood from my seat, as did Harry.

"Here's your bag." She said, giving Harry a paper bag that most likely had our food inside of it. He nodded and thanked her quietly before turning to me and linking our arms together. I smiled at the small gesture again and walked with Harry out of the diner's doors.