chapter twenty nine

twenty nine

FLASHBACK

Harry sat on the couch, the cushions were beyond worn out from being sat on all day by his mother. He sprawled out on the couch, watching television. He usually didn't pay much attention to the commercial ads, but that day something had caught his eye. He faintly remembered watching commercial a while back, but he didn't find the interest in it that he did now.

"Buy your own pair now!" The man on television spoke enthusiastically. Harry saw a pair of shoes with wheels at the bottoms, he learned that they were called roller skates. He sat up in his seat excitedly, smiling widely at the television. "Thirty-nine, ninety-nine! And when you buy one, you get the second one free! This offer will expire soon, buy yours now!"

Harry jumped up from the couch and ran to his mothers room. He pushed open the door in a rush only to see his mother sitting at the edge of the bed, vomiting into one of the paper bags she'd always keep in her room.

Anne coughed once, "What do you need, Harry?" She said into the bag, her voice muffled.

"I wanted the roller skates on television. Are you okay, mom?" He asked, his small feet beginning to walk toward his mother. He heard her laugh, a loud cough following afterwards.

"I'm fine, Harry. Can you get mommy some water?" Anne asked her seven year old son. Harry nodded and wasted no time to exit the room and get his mother a cup of water.

I ran my hands through my hair as we began to walk toward the skating rink that had been a bit farther away from the beach. Without my own consent I squeezed Charlotte's hand in mine and she stopped abruptly stopped to look at me.

"Is there something wrong?" Concern clear in her beautiful brown eyes.

"No..." I shook my head, "I'm just embarrassed." I half smiled.

"Why?" My smile seemed to be contagious when she smiled back.

"What if I fall on my ass?" I leaned closer to her as I spoke. She threw her head back in a fit of laughter. I smiled, seeing her laugh could be therapeutic for- not just me -but everyone that has ever laid eyes on her.

"You won't fall. I'll hold your hand." She nodded her head. She looked up at me and her eyes met with mine and I knew that she could see the pain in my eyes. She bit her lip and began to walk toward a bench beside the front doors of the skating rink.

I sighed, sitting beside her on the bench. She stared at me for a moment, "Tell me what's wrong, Harry." Our fingers were still intertwined.

I exhaled heavily, "Every time I want to do something, I am reminded of my mother. And every fucking thing she did that was wrong. I'm so tired of trying to do something that makes me happy and having to deal with these fucking memories." I frowned, tapping my feet against the concrete.

"We all have memories that we have to deal with. I know how difficult it is to continue living your life when you have dealt with so much in the past. But Harry, I know you will handle it better than most people." She said, her soft voice seemed soothing as she spoke. I pressed my hands to her sides and pulled her toward me, kissing her heavily. She smiled throughout the kiss, slightly giggling.

"You always know the right things to say." I smiled and stood up from the bench, "Let's go roller skating so you can see me fall multiple times." I grinned, wrapping my arm around her body.

*

After I finished tying my own roller skates, I scooted closer to Charlotte. I reached for her hand as she was pulling the shoe strings. I began to tie the shoe for her, I could hear her groan.