chapter thirty

thirty

I sat in the bed, the sheets covering my body as I looked out of the skylight above me. Harry lied beside me, asleep with his hand across my lap. I didn't stop him from sleeping, he seemed to have been under a lot of stress and I didn't want to bother him any longer. He needed time to rest his body and dream of something that made him happy.

I had been sitting in bed for at least thirty minutes, waiting for Harry to awaken. I had time to think of the few events that had occurred earlier in the day. He hadn't exactly told me what was bothering him, I'm sure it couldn't have been due to his reoccurring flashbacks. There was something else on his mind, something bigger. But I decided that I did not want to risk him getting angry with me again.

Suddenly, Harry's arm wrapped around my side and he pulled me closer to him. I inhaled deeply, he had frightened me a bit. I looked down at him and he plastered a small smile on his lips, "Sorry for falling asleep." He said in a voice that was quieter than usual.

I shook my head, "No, no. Resume your slumber, if you please." I said, returning the smile. He laughed, pressing his nose against my arm and closing his eyes for a brief moment. I ran my fingers through his hair before he opened his eyes again, the back of my hand stroking his cheek. I lied down in the bed, bringing my body as close to his as possible.

I lied my head on his shoulder and waited for him to speak. I traced invisible circles on his chest with my index finger as I focused on his slow breathing. He yawned, "Brad and Sarah are coming over tonight."

"Why?" I asked. I didn't mind having them over, but if what Harry told me about Brad proposing to Sarah was true I would assume Brad would want to spend the night with her.

"Apparently, we're the only beach house with a jacuzzi." I felt his warm hand on my naked back.

I rolled my eyes, "That can't be true."

"Our beach house has been updated already." Harry said and ran his hand up and down my back. I sighed heavily, tapping my fingers along his chest.

I pouted, "That sucks for everyone else." I, then, smiled and looked up at him. He had his eyes closed, slowly drifting off into sleep. I rolled my eyes and climbed on top of him, kissing his lips gently.

"When I told you to resume your slumber, I didn't think you'd take it seriously." I whispered, my lips centimeters away from his ear. I could hear his smile, I sat up again.

He frowned, "Damn. I was really looking forward to those extra few hours of sleep." He laughed and I shook my head.

"What time is it?" I asked, mostly to myself as I climbed off of Harry. I stood up, looking at the clock on the bedside table. It was 6:42PM, we had fallen asleep around three. I walked into the bathroom and wasted no time turning on the shower. I stepped under the shower water, my clothes were in a scattered mess in the bedroom.

I looked over, watching at the water droplets trailed down my shoulder. I closed my eyes, turning my head again to face the shower head. The feeling of serenity took over my entire being, I had the feeling that all of this would go away. That it'll all disappear. All of the calm mornings that I'd wake up to find Harry in the kitchen cooking breakfast. The nights when I can watch Harry fall asleep without a frown on his face. Having him to myself, it'll all go away. I hadn't gotten my hopes up too high, yet I felt the tugging of my conscience telling me that it'll all be the same and I'll always be happy. Telling me that I will always have Harry, that soon we could all live in a world where I can sit down with my mother and Charlie with Harry alongside me. But my conscience was wrong, it's not possible.

I was born into this world. I had to make choices on my own, everything was up to me. I had to choose between Harry and my family. I knew I had a choice. I didn't have to love Harry, but I did and I still do. I chose him.