Ch. 1

Adonis

"I'm telling you, I think he's the one." My sister squeals on the phone, I roll my eyes at her antiques and focus on the dog in front of me. 

"I don't like him, Princess." 

"You don't like anyone I date," I can feel her rolling her eyes through the phone. 

"Good girl," I praise Venus for putting away her toys before focusing back on the little girl on my phone. "And I'm never wrong."

"THAT'S BECAUSE YOU PUSH THEM AWAY." 

"STOP YELLING IN MY HOUSE."

"SORRY MA," 

I let out a laugh at the interaction, "Tell mom I said hi, and they leave because they're cowards. Now I have to go, I have a gala to attend." 

"Wait don't hang up."

"What?"

"Why didn't you tell me about the Gala so I could go with you." She scowls and I roll my eyes once again and make my way to my room to clothes on. 

"Because I want to go alone." 

"Or maybe you just want to get your dick wet." She accuses. The amount of times I roll my eyes when talking to this girl is just astonishing. 

"I'm not like that anymore Princess, I've grown you should give it a try."

"Um sure, just make sure you use protec-"

I hand up the phone and focus on my tie, ignoring the she-devil that's spamming my phone. A bark brings me out of my concentration, I turn around and see my golden retriever Venus looking at me and wagging her tail.

 "Are you going to be a good girl for me, Venus?" 

I smile as she barks again walking towards me waiting for me to pet her. "I wish I could stay with you but daddy got to go to this big important thing with anyone people that like to suck up." 

The CEO Gala use to be fun when I was a child and could run around and play in the kids' section. It use to be fun when I was a teenager and could have fun in the closet. But now, as an adult that has to play the role of CEO, it's absolute hell. 

I'm one of the few 'young' adults in this gala, the rest are basically senior citizens. All they want to do is talk about the same thing over and over again, it gets boring frankly. And having people that are basically old enough to be your grandfather kiss your ass gives me second-hand embarrassment. 

+

"Adonis my boy, let me introduce you to my daughter Harper." Mr. Cox says grabbing someone's arm and pulling her into the group. The blonde looks up and smiles sheepishly, her cheeks a bit pink. 

"Please to meet you, Ms. Harper," I smile at my "ex" and give her a subtle wink. Harper and I use to have our fun as teenagers but she would never let her over-religious parents know that their good little girl was 'tainted'. 

"Tell me, boy, is there anyone that has caught your attention lately?" Mr. Charming asks hitting my back while the other gentlemen laugh. 

I join in awkwardly and say nothing. 

"Adonis, there's something with the company you need to come now." I send a quick prayer to the heavens when my best friend Lucas came and dragged me out of that conversation. 

"I could kiss you right now," I told him giving him a hug when we got far away from the crowd. 

"That's cute, but you owe me."