FIVE

Finding out that Jason was the son of Zeus of all the gods should have been at the top of the list of things that Klein Maddox did not see coming. Instead, all the daughter of Apollo could think to herself was 'fucking figures'.

It was clear in the aura that surrounded him, the hero-esque nature that she had gotten so good at rolling her eyes at. She had gotten used to it at camp: Annabeth, Kieran, half of cabin five, and Percy most of all - they were all doused in the same aura. But Jason... it was different with him, almost regal.

Almost like there was electricity in the air.

Really, she had to cut him some slack - or at least give him some credit. Rachel Dare had turned the conversation from the Great Prophecy to immediately zone in on him in less than five minutes, and all the blonde did was clench his jaw with a nod when she said "It's clear that Hera herself has issued you a quest."

And that alone, that moment where he could have just shook his head, told Rachel Elizabeth Dare to fuck off, and walk away, but not doing any of that - that is when Klein Maddox knew that Jason was a far better person than she would ever be.

"You must save Hera to prevent a great evil." Rachel continued, and Klein was at least a little thankful that Annabeth also looked totally tiffed at the entire ordeal, "Some sort of king from rising. For reasons we don't yet understand, it must happen by the winter solstice, only four days from now."

"That's the council day of the gods. If the gods don't already know Hera's gone, they will definitely notice her absence by then. They'll probably break out fighting, accusing each other of taking her." Annabeth said, "That's what they usually do."

"The winter solstice is also the time of greatest darkness." Chiron spoke up, earning an 'of course it is' from a Klein, who thereby earned a rather hard nudge in the side from Will, "The gods gather that day, as mortals always have, because there is strength in numbers. The solstice is a day when evil magic is strong - ancient magic, older than the gods. It is a day when things... stir."

"Thank you, Captain Sunshine." Klein chirped from the Apollo seats, earning a few snickers as her sarcastic words and unamused glare for the centaur broke through the uncomfortable crowd.

"Thank you, Klein." Annabeth sent the girl a 'really?' look from where she stood, only earning an unbothered shrug in return. The daughter of Athena let out a breath before continuing, "Whatever's going on, I agree with Rachel. Jason has been chosen to lead this quest, so-"

Unsurprisingly, the first protest came from the ranks of Cabin Five. "Why hasn't he been claimed? If he's so important-"

"Jason has been claimed, a long time ago."

The sun shined bright on Camp Half-Blood the day that the Maddox twins were claimed. They had been lead to Long Island by what seemed to be a glowing compass of light, and on the nights where they would have to stop and rest, Kieran would swear he heard a hymn in his head to give them directions for the next day.

When they crossed into Camp their claiming was almost immediate. Face to face with Chiron, a boy named Luke from the Hermes cabin, and a girl name Christina from Demeter's, the two eight-year-old's were doused in a sparkling golden-yellow light, a golden sun with rays made of arrows floating above their heads. For the following week, Camp Half-Blood was the brightest it had ever been, whenever the wind blew there was the twinkle of music in the air, and not a single camper was even slightly injured during training.