Prologue

Her pink blouse and skirt were ripped and crusted with dirt & dust. As she saw the stone bridge and broken house coming into sight, her dirty hands flew to the map in her skirt pocket to check.

Yes, this is where she was supposed to be. She shivered and limped on to pass the border.

As she dragged her feet to the mess of glass and photo frames, she felt the familiar tingling feeling. Nobody could see her now, she was sure of it. While she stirred and shook, she knelt down to pick up a photo.

She saw a family of children with a gothy headmistress with dark wavy hair and a foxy side smile. She squinted and looked at the contents of the house.

In another photo, she saw a little boy with bees shooting out of his mouth. A levitating girl with a flowy dress. A short girl with a sweet smile holding up a table with her bare hands.

The girl smiled at the wholeness of the photo. What she would give to have savored at least a photo of her friends. Her blue eyes drifted to another photo.

A faded picture of a seemingly older boy with utensils and jars. Her eyebrows creased unknowingly. What's so special about him?

Maybe I'll get to meet him. I'll find out what makes him so special. Her cheeks tinted light pink and she set the dusty photo down. The house was up ahead.