Pink

"Come in,"

Emma opened up the door to find Maesi cleaning up her new room. Her lead shoes scuffed and clanked as she walked over to her bedside. She said, less confident than usual, "Here's some clothes. Do you want a different color? Because I can fetch a different outfit if you're not big into pink-"

Maesi took the clothes into her hands and gave a weak smile. "These will do just wonderful. Thank you, Emma." Yes! She didn't stutter! Maesi mentally applauded herself as she looked over the contents of the outfit.

She loved pink, it reminded her so much of Mrs. Avocet. The woman was big into decorating her loop with paintings of different flowers, and her favorite paintings had baby pink roses. How she wished she could see those paintings once more...

For now, the mere color of baby pink could only make her feel so secure in this odd new place. Emma smiled at her and added, "So have you met everyone quite yet?"

"For the most part, but Mrs. Peregrine mentioned Enoch?" Maesi replied, tilting her head to the side and finger combing her hair.

"Ah, you haven't met the grouch, have you? No worries, Maesi, he's not bad, just," Emma struggled to continue, "secluded. Practically quarantining himself all throughout the day. Only ever comes out for meals, and the lot of us wouldn't be surprised if he didn't join those either."

Maesi's eyes rested comfortably on the floor, "..o-oh. Do you speak with him?" Emma giggled a bit. "Every so often, but there's only so many times he lets me into his sad dump of a room. You'll get to know him though. You'll make friends."

Maesi nodded, unusually sure of herself for once. "Where's his room?"

"Just up here, last door to the left. Good luck, Maesi." Emma slipped out the door to let her change.