Chapter 1

River

I swirl the amber liquid around in my glass, staring out the window of my office. I try to shut out the idea of actually giving in and saying yes to the man sitting across my desk. A man I have known for oh so many years. He wanted me to come along, play the best friend, and spend time with his friend.

But I couldn't.

Not this time at least.

Gideon McKnight was one of my closest friends. We met when I was younger, a freshman in high school to be specific. I remember the first time that I was standing outside of the school. As usual, when I checked my phone there was a text from my father saying I would have to walk or call my brother for a ride. Considering my brother didn't like me and was in another state, that left me having to walk. It was usual for me to do, but I hated it for the longest time. I just wished someone would do the bare minimum of picking their fucking kid up from practice.

That just wasn't my family, however.

Marcus was a guy on the team, a good player but you could tell he wasn't really in it for the game. For Marcus, it was always just a way to escape from his own father, and get girls. Basketball was a release for him, whether he liked it or not, so he never stopped. I never really knew him that well before that night though. While I was standing outside preparing to walk home, a black SUV pulled up. A man in a suit got out of the car, closed the door, and lightly leaned against it. I remember thinking he looked pretty young to have a kid in high school, and I was correct.

Well, kind of. I later learned he was only in his late thirties.

Marcus had walked out of the building and straight for the car, however, Gideon continued to glance around the lot, his eyes eventually landing on me.

After that night, everything in my life changed.

Marcus and I ended up being close on our accord, but the beginning I don't doubt was a push from Gideon. I don't know why he was so intent on getting out of the car and looking around at everyone. Maybe it was to see who was on the team and around his son?

Though that was the thing, Gideon was not Marcus's biological father.

I later learned that Gideon's wife had Marcus when she was in high school herself. Marcus never learned who his biological father was and said there was no need because Gideon had always been there. I understood that perfectly.

Gideon took me in. I moved in with them when I was sixteen.

My own father never paid enough attention to know I moved out until college came around. I ended up accepting a basketball scholarship mainly because I didn't want to use a single fucking penny from my father to fund my education. I wanted to build myself up. Gideon helped me with that.

When I graduated, Gideon offered me a spot with his company. I originally turned it down because I had my own plans in the work of starting my own business. Gideon never stopped trying to get through to me to agree to it. Owning a business with someone who has been there by my side since I was fifteen is great and all, until you realize how chaotic it actually is.

Where Gideon could have been more like a father figure to me, he became more of an older brother. That may sound weird considering I was best friends with his adopted son.

Guess that is just the type of person I am.

Now sitting here, thirty-one years old, and I have my own business.