Chapter 7

River 

They have been fighting for twenty minutes. Aspen and Gideon. Since Trent mentioned the Davidson deal, Gideon has not shut up about it. I personally couldn't care less, but then again, I wasn't the main one losing an investor. Kraig Davidson and I had a good deal already going, so him working with Aspen wasn't going to bother me.

Gideon, however - that situation was different. I knew that this would be big for him. He needed to take care of this, to figure out what he was going to do. Just not at this point in time. This wasn't the place to have this conversation.

I had things I needed to say. Things I needed to make clear. Shit that needed to be dealt with. I shake my head slightly and look at my computer screen. Those files staring me down. When I had first gotten then, I truly didn't think much about it. That changed when I realized what one of the videos was - who it was.

Her face there, clear. The two of them.

And there are the other videos. And the bank statements. Everything.

Marcus owes some big people some big money, and he's taking them all down for it.

If these two could shut their fucking mouths for five minutes then I could explain that. Although, most of it is just Gideon going off on Aspen. What's worse is the fact that she's taking it. Sitting on the edge of the chair, listening and answering when given a chance. Mychal, who was sitting on the arm of the chair, looked annoyed and frustrated. Every now and then she would lay her hand on Aspen's shoulder, but other than that, she showed no sign of jumping in yet. If looks could kill, Gideon wouldn't be walking out of this office alive.

And Aspen was just sitting there, her eyes looked almost hurt. She didn't show any emotion on her face. That beautiful face - gone were the emotions of earlier when I caught her with Finn and Mychal. I had gone looking for Aspen because I wanted to ask her something about the files I now have on my computer when I found her.

The look in her eyes. Goddamn. Those bright blue eyes. All I wanted to do was kiss her. I wanted to take her up to my bedroom and fuck her. Make her mine and mine alone. That look in her eyes, the longing, as she thought about them. She said she would join them. While it would've been a sight to see, the thought of her with another man made me angry. Angry enough that I wanted to wrap my hands around her and claim her.

That would never happen though. It was just a glitch in the brain. She was engaged to another man. She also thinks of me as the bad guy. She always would. Didn't matter what I did or said. I wanted her to be happy. I could only give her sex.

I sigh and adjust myself under the cover of the desk. This fighting was such a turn-off. I needed this meeting done so I could go fix my own problems.

"Okay enough of this bullshit." Everyone turned to look at me. Aspen had something like thanks written in her eyes. Trent was in the chair next to hers, leaning back into it. I hadn't seen him in a while. I missed the kid. Despite his brown hair and hazel eyes, he and his sister looked so similar. They acted similarly too.

Growing up Trent and Aspen were always together, getting into trouble. It always shocked me when Marcus said he was closer to her out of all the siblings. Marcus and Aspen were close, that isn't a lie, but it never seemed like they were the closest. When Marcus quit basketball, Aspen was right by his side through all of it. I know of a few too many times that she would have to pick him up from clubs and bars because he was too drunk to stand. Those times, yes they seemed like two inseparable siblings. They were close. She would do anything for Marcus.