CONSTELLATIONS

more fluff before the angst :) this chapter was kind of sweet—so I hope you enjoy the calmness before the real shit starts. 

_

"How was your session with Brenner?" Peter asks as he comes into my room. He shuts the door behind him, using his remote to turn the cameras off. "I heard you were doing more studies on emotion." His hands idle across the surface of the door. 

I sit cross legged on my bed, trying to finish my lunch. Bland, flavourless, and cardboard, as usual. "Emotion is overrated," I chew on my stale sandwich, placing it down on the plate and shoving it aside. 

Peter raises his eyebrows at me, taking a seat at the desk. "That bad, huh, love?" 

"If you like reliving memories of murdering your family members, then it was an amazing experience I'd love to have again," my breath sticks in my throat. 

"I would quite enjoy reliving that day," Peter says nonchalantly, leaning back in the chair until two of legs lift off the ground. 

"You killed your parents too," I bite the inside of my cheek, making eye contact with him. 

"Yet another thing we have in common," Peter licks his lips, eyes darting over mine. 

I diverge the conversation. "How long have you been here, Peter?" 

He considers this for a few seconds, tapping his fingers on his thigh. "What does that matter, love? I'm not going to be here for much longer." Peter flicks hair out of his eyes. 

"How did the other subjects get their powers?" It's more of a thought out loud that I never tried to voice. 

But how did they get their powers? Did they just wake up with them one day, like me? Or were they born with them? Did their parents not want kids with abilities, so they sent them away to labs like me? 

Peter just looks at me. "Why is it that when we're together you always ask so many questions?" he shakes his head, smirking. "It's like you only want my dick, and my knowledge." 

I narrow my eyes at him. "Mm, don't flatter yourself, darling. Who says I want you at all?" 

A muscle moves in his jaw. "You can lie to yourself all you want, but you can't lie to me." 

Peter abruptly changes the subject. "I've been here since I was twelve, and if you want to know how the other subjects got their powers, you're going to have to ask Brenner." 

His expression suddenly turns dark. 

"Why do you suddenly look like you've lost your true love?" 

"Unfortunately my true love remains myself," Peter answers, crossing his arms. 

"Yeah, well that makes sense to me, actually," I say. I lay back on my bed, staring at the ceiling. Light patterns dance against the walls. The entire wall looks like it's sparkling. 

I sit up, frowning. "What—" 

"Lay back," Peter says gently. I don't. "Trust me, Y/N." 

I do as he says. Peter slips into bed next to me, laying on his back. He points up at the ceiling. "Don't ask questions and you will receive nothing but the truth." He says quietly, as the roof above me transforms. 

What was once white and completely and utterly boring, is now the midnight sky. It glimmers—full of life with the stars. The constellations shine above me, each telling their own story. My mouth falls open, and I turn to glance at Peter. 

"I like the stars more than people," he murmurs under his breath, as light dances off his face. Peter's eyes dart down to my lips. "With some exceptions, of course." 

My lips part and I turn back to the dark sky above me. The stars are dancing. Waltzing amongst their paradise. Peaceful. I don't think I've ever taken a moment to stare at the stars before. I've never even seen the constellations. 

"I—" speechless, is the only word that comes to mind. "Are you doing this?" 

"Ask no questions and you will receive nothing but the truth," Peter whispers, his lips grazing behind my ear. "Do you like it?" 

"It's..." I trail off, eyes wide. Wonder. Hope. The madness has stopped chasing me, and all the voices have finally gone quiet. "It's...beautiful." 

Peter smiles, a real, genuine smile. It might be even more beautiful than the sky. And yes, doubt thunders at my chest, threatening to destroy me from the inside. 

But this, the sky and him, it feels like real happiness. 

He waves his hand and the sky changes, showing me the planets up close. The stars still wave in the background, lighting the darkened universe like it was what they were meant to do all along. Their purpose. 

And mine? 

I don't really have one. 

I need to find my brother and get out of here. 

I need to stop the insanity from consuming me. 

And most importantly, I need 

Him. 

What should Y/N's brother's name be? I need suggestions:)