vii. dead ashes revive again

━━━━ •◦இ•◦ ━━━━

Warning: This chapter contains depictions of violence that may be upsetting for some readers.

Damon releases more blood when Athena removes the knife from him. He coughs more blood when Athena stabs him once again. His body forces him to the ground, where he lies down and closes his eyes. Everything feels so heavy.

After completing such a task, Athena puts his corpse someplace on the yacht, away from Astrid's sight. She just couldn't throw the body in the sea, it is such a reckless thing to do. Then she takes care of the crime scene, leaving no traces behind.

She knows Astrid might find out very soon, if she's still alive. However, she's not bothered. She plans to tell her anyway.

She heads to the stern deck in the hopes of seeing her girlfriend, but she isn't there. Instead of looking for her, Athena sits on the sofa and wraps a towel around her body. She is freezing.

"Love?"

From a distance, Athena hears her girlfriend's voice. She finds a warm cup of tea in Astrid's hand as she looks at her. She frowns when she notices Astrid dressed in a white long-sleeved polo shirt, a black vest, and black trousers. She had been dressed in the same clothing since they boarded the yacht earlier in the morning.

"I think you should change your clothes into something more comfortable later," Athena utters.

Astrid approaches her with a smile on her face. "Here, drink this first. I made this for you." She hands out the cup to Athena.

Athena drinks the tea upon receiving it.

Astrid watches her savor every bit of it. She then tells her, "Damon is dead. You killed him, didn't you?"

Athena stuns. She slowly places the cup on the table in front of her. She then turns to face Astrid. She clearly does not expect Astrid would find out so soon.

"Your hunch is correct," she reasons. "Damon is a spy. Theodore just texted me to warn me about it. I had to get rid of him, sorry." She averts her gaze.

"That's not what I want to hear."

Her eyebrows furrow, she looks back at Astrid. Astrid's visage is devoid of emotion, but Athena could sense her fury in the depths of her hollow eyes. Astrid is upset, apparently.

Athena asks, her voice low, "What do you want to hear then?"

Astrid looks down. "The answer to . . . Why did you have my family killed?"

"I have something important to tell you," Damon says, his voice low.

"What is it?"

"Your family is dead. Athena ordered Theodore to kill them all."

Athena holds her breath for a fraction of a second. What Astrid just asked her has taken her by surprise. "Did Damon tell that to you?"

Astrid nods, looking at her.

"I guess there's no need to lie then."

Astrid gasps and covers her mouth. Tears are welling up in her eyes. Emotions are flooding her body, causing it to heat up. She turns her back on Athena and distances herself for just a few steps away from her. "Why?!"

"Tell me why?!" Astrid returns an angry glare at Athena, her eyes bloodshot. "Years ago, I did my utmost to defend you from the rumors because I believed you were not a killer like your mother—but you are! You fucking are! Out of all people, why does it have to be my family?! My brothers?!"

Athena exhales a sigh. She has anticipated this to happen. "I know you're mad at me, but hear me out, honey."

"Don't you call me that way—you, traitor!"

"Please, just hear me out—"

Athena rises from her seat, but her sight goes blurry as she takes a step forward. Her vision becomes a twirl. She couldn't see anything clearly. She couldn't even feel her hands or her legs.

With just a blink of her eyes, she finds herself lying on the ground, gradually losing her consciousness. Then her vision becomes completely black.

Astrid has mixed a drug in the tea she gave Athena earlier. She got it from Damon. He said that it came from Ares, the last living brother in her family. According to him, Ares gave it to him through his men when they were on their way to the marina. Ares wanted to drug Athena as a revenge for what she did to the rest of the Gavis. It is an order.

Astrid gazes at the poor corpse in front of her. Her body starts to weaken. She trembles, falling down to her knees as she cries Athena's name. She couldn't believe what had just happened.

What should I do?!

She continued to cry, looking around to know her next move. She doesn't know what to do, no matter how hard she thinks about it. Then she walks around the stern deck, back and forth. Her eyesight becomes more fuzzy.

At this point, Astrid has no idea what she is doing. She moves around the deck without even thinking.

Her body feels so weak. Her eyes might shut on their own at any moment. Her mind is clouded with questions—what should she do? What should she do?

What am I . . .

Astrid finds herself on her knees, looking above at the sky. Then a knife appears in her sight. She is holding it with both hands.

. . . doing?

She brings the knife down hard . . . to her stomach. She has stabbed herself.

And everything goes dark.