are we out of the woods yet?

Legolas and I had always been good friends, we fought alongside one another and it had been that way for a long time. We both ran through the woods, laughing, when I saw his father, Thranduil, the king of the elves, he watched us, with this emotionless look in his eyes. I looked away, as Legolas looked back at me. "I need to grab some of my things, will you wait for me?" I nodded, as I followed him up the stairs. "May I have a word?" I stopped, as I glanced back at the King, a little surprised. "Me?" He turned, as he returned to his throne. I place my hands on my hips, "My lord?" He looked down at me, "I would prefer if you didn't ogle my son." I didn't know what to say, "I'm sorry?" Did he think I had feelings for Legolas? "My son doesn't need any distractions, especially those of women. Relationships will just cloud his mind. Keep your distance." I rolled my eyes, "I don't have feelings for Legolas." His gaze didn't change. "You don't?" I shake my head, "No! Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful man. But, I- this is embarrassing. Uh- I prefer older men." He raised his eyebrow, "Oh, do you now?" His words made my stomach flip, "Yeah, pretty much. A lot older, more experienced. The older, the better." I step back, watching that smirk on his face as I went to stand outside. He was beyond attractive, I think he possibly caught on that I might have a small crush on him, but there was absolutely no way that I would go there. I cared for Legolas, plus Thranduil was a King, he had thousands of years of combat, love and anger on his belt. I was human.

"I must return to River-end. Will you stay here? I think my father needs some company, he's very alone in this place." I nodded, a little hesitant. "Of course." He kissed my forehead, "I'll be back. One day." He rushed off, through the trees as I watched him leave. I sighed deeply, as I turned and I walked back into the castle. "What do we have here?" I glanced back, one of his guards, eyeing me up, glared down at me. "I'm a friend of Legolas, the King's son." He didn't seem convinced. "Nice try, Princess." He chuckled, as he held a blade to my throat. I glared. "I don't lie." The cold metal pressed into my neck, but I wasn't afraid. "Remove the blade from her neck or I shall make you suffer greatly." The King's voice ran through my skin, as the guard retreated. I heard great commotion outside, as I turned to see what looked like hundreds or Orcs, "We've got a problem." I grab my knife, as Thranduil commanded his army in Elvish, "Y/n!" He yelled my name as I left the steps, it sent chills down my spine. I ran through the strays, as I kicked back, slaying those who came for me and the kingdom. I could see Thranduil fighting, he looked like an Angel, he was so effortless and beautiful. A blade ran up my back, I yelled in pain, as the mental ripped through my skin. It knocked me almost sick, Thranduil looked at me, with almost this anger and fear in his eyes, I'd never seen it before. I knock back against the tree, as I fought through the pain. I rip some of my shirt off, tying it around my hips as I ran back through the forest.

I blink through the pain, as I tried my best to stay awake. I felt an arm around me from behind, "You're injured, you cannot fight anymore." Thranduil's voice against my ear, as I lean back into his chest. "I'll be fine- I just- I need to help." I whispered, "Not in this state, I cannot allow it. I must take you to a healer." He pulled me back, as he took me into his arms and he carried me inside the castle. I slowly shut my eyes, I felt him cradle my face. "Stay with me, y/n. Come on, keep your eyes open." I gently take his hand, "Thranduil." I whispered, as I felt his hand in my hair, as a healer worked on my injuries. "Go." He went silent. "I'm not leaving you, I'm never going to leave you." I take a breath, "Go and fight. For us. For your people." I whispered, in a lot of pain. "Y/n." I lean back, "Stay with me. Come on, stay with me." I heard my heart beat, as I gather whatever strength I have left, as I push myself forward and I kiss him deeply. He cupped the side of my face, as I suddenly let go of him.

I let him go, as the life left my body and the final thing I heard was screaming.

But I had to go.