14: Wrath of Monoceros Caeli

"Good night," Zhongli replied, reaching out to turn off the light on the bedside table, returning to the position he had been in before he sat on the bed. Childe turned his back to Zhongli, closing his eyes to sleep. He relaxed all the muscles of his body, feeling how the brunette moved a little in his place.

He was sleepy, exhausted. But still, he couldn't sleep. The next day was Ningguang's party, he had to sleep at least a couple of hours!

Childe turned to the other side. His breathing had slowed down, and he could tell that he was much calmer than before, listening to the brunette's breathing.

"Have you ever felt alone?" Childe asked suddenly, wondering for Zhongli was awake. He opened his eyes, barely able to see how Zhongli was looking at him.

"Ah... I thought you were sleeping," Zhongli replied. He took a few seconds to respond, the sound of his breathing is the only thing that could be heard at the time. "Several times in my life, yes. Why do you ask?"

"I've felt that way for a long time," he whispered. "I was wondering if you would have felt that way too."

"I think we all at some point in our lives will feel that way on occasion," Zhongli replied, his voice relaxing Childe's senses. "In my case, it was when I separated from my parents," Childe stayed, letting him continue talking and then saying he. "They live on the outskirts of Liyue, in a small town almost in the middle of nowhere. I can't communicate with them unless I go to visit them or send them a letter, and they can't communicate with me either. I can't know if they're okay, they can't call me if something happens to them..."

"I understand that perfectly," Childe whispered. "It sucks."

"I know," Zhongli replied. "But that was several years ago when I entered the University campus. They're fine anyway, I can tell they're in good health," Zhongli cleared his throat. "Anyway, I don't want to bore you with all this, I don't think it's something comparable to what has happened to you."

"Not, it's okay. It must have been... Awkward, being in the big city if you were living with them away from the world," Childe clarified. "I wanted to know more about you I guess..."

"I think there are different ways to feel lonely," Zhongli continued. "Mine can be said to have been more presential, so to speak. Then someone can symbolically feel that way, I have experienced that state, but only for a short time."

"I could say I've felt both," Childe said, turning on his back, and looking at the ceiling. "They separated me from the rest of the family, and I ended up isolating myself almost completely. Then I ended up in jail, and I was separated completely from my family, from the world... Nobody believed me, I couldn't talk to someone I trusted because there was never anyone by my side. There was only me," he clenched his fists, his voice sounding bitter.

"You speak in the past tense," Zhongli observed. Childe smiled slightly, turning to look at the brunette, golden eyes gazing up at him.

Childe looked away, noticing how his cheeks reddened slightly. "I have you," he replied, maintaining his smile.

Childe slowly opened his eyes, feeling Zhongli's arms wrap around him, listening to the man's breathing, and feeling his chest expand each time he breathed in. The redhead pressed closer to the brunette, hiding his face in the crook of his neck and inhaling, letting himself be intoxicated by the scent of the brunette, closing his eyes. Zhongli pressed him a little in his embrace for several seconds, then relaxed again and loosened his grip, still sleeping.

Childe pursed his lips.

He had to get away from Zhongli right now, literally.

Without making a sound, he withdrew Zhongli's right arm from above him, careful not to wake him up. He got off the bed without making a sound, wincing as he felt a stab of pain in his lower body. He was not surprised, to tell the truth.