chapter v. upside down

good luck 🍀🧸
&& happy reading !

// YOU ARE READING //

! 𝐵𝑅𝑈𝑇𝐴𝐿 !(a stranger things x harry potter au)chapter v

! 𝐵𝑅𝑈𝑇𝐴𝐿 !
(a stranger things x harry potter au)
chapter v. upside down

word count: 1,384

"there are moments... moments that in a split second your life changes forever, and before you know it... you're somewhere else."

[derek shepherd]

hawkins, indiana - august 28, 1984

~🛹~

"KNOCK-KNOCK. CAN I COME IN?" Neil Hargrove asked, stepping into his stepdaughter's room. He'd never been one to wait for a response. Although that annoyed Max, it didn't bother her as much as him saying the phrase knock-knock to announce his presence rather than acting upon it.

"Were you talking to someone?" Neil looked especially large and intimidating with his bulky arms crossed over his chest, broad shoulders square as he leaned against the doorframe, gazing sternly at her.

Max hopped off her bed, standing as a way to appear tougher than she felt. Shrugging, eyebrows knitted, she said, "No. Why?"

"Nevermind." Neil shrugged it off. "I thought I heard something. Must have been the wind."

Max nodded. She was getting good at his lying thing. "Where's my mom?"

"Early shift at the diner. She didn't want to wake you."

"And..." Max hesitated, shoulders slumped down a bit as her voice grew small. "And Billy?"

Neil laughed, his signature smile dancing across his face. "In the kitchen! I made breakfast. Come on."

He walked out, expecting her to follow. Max sighed, running her fingers through her hair. It was going to be a long day.

~🛹~

Just as Neil said, Billy was sitting at the dining table, back straight, the sleeves of his denim jacket rolled up to his elbows as he ate in silence.

Max pulled up a chair beside him, long hair covering her face as she tried to ignore the angry purple bruises around Billy's right eye, stretching down to his cheekbone and jaw.

"Billy," Neil said, a dangerous undertone in his calm voice, "Say good morning to your sister."

Max flinched, watching Billy's hand tighten around his spoon. He took a deep breath, relaxing his grip, teeth gritted as he looked her dead in the eyes. "Good morning, Max," he said, voice as pleasant as Neil's wicked grin.