18. The two of us (naked pictures)

"I think it's so foolish for people
to want to be happy.
Happy is so momentary--
you're happy for an instant and then you start thinking again.
Interest is the most important thing in life;
happiness is temporary,
but interest is continuous."

― Georgia O'Keefe

***

April 1965

"Coming!" I grumbled angrily as I stomped my way through the dark hallway. I pulled my pink bathrobe tighter around my waist.

The knocking on the front door had only gotten more impatient and loud in the last minute after I tried to ignore it for a while. If that damn cow from next door wanted to complain about Neil's loud snoring again she could've at least waited until morning to say so.

"It's one in the morning, calm the fuck down." I said as I opened the door in a swift move.

Paul was on the other side, his closed fist still raised, and my eyes narrowed as a sheepish smile spread across his face.

"Evening, Adaline."

"It's the middle of the night, Paul." I crossed my arms over my chest but stepped aside to let him in as my still sleepy brain lacked all apparent judgement.

"I missed you, love." He wrapped his arms around me and the smell of scotch filled my nostrils.

"Looks like it. Couldn't wait until morning, could you?" I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

"It is morning!" Paul snorted and leaned down to kiss my lips sloppily.

"Oh hell, you're too drunk for this." My nose wrinkled and I pushed him away gently as he pouted.

In the last two weeks, it was the second time he was showing up here late at night, but tonight really wasn't convenient as I had class in the morning.

"We just went out to the club after recording, m'not drunk."

"Alright, well, I have to sleep either way." I sighed.

"I'll sleep with you." Paul said in a low voice, desire swaying in his eyes as he gently pushed me against the wall.

A smile spread on my face as warmth pooled in my stomach. Something had shifted since he came back from filming their new movie and as much as I wanted to convince myself that we were friends first and... something else second, I couldn't help the warm tingling that spread through me so easily when he was around.

"I swear, if all my friendships were like that I'd never get any sleep."

"Ah, we're hardly just friends now, are we?" Paul's lips found their way to my neck and I felt a shiver run down my spine.

"I have a class in the morning, Paul." I quickly said and turned my head.

I felt him stall and let out a long sigh against my shoulder. "Can't you play hooky?"

"Of course not." I bit my lip and raised my eyes to the ceiling. My brain told me it was a horrible idea but it was getting harder to ignore the pinching feeling I got in my chest. "Look, you can sleep here, but I'm going to bed."

Paul took a step back and I finally managed to take a deep breath. His hair was all messy and there was a shadow of a beard on his chin. His tie was already halfway undone and his shirt was untucked from his pants. For a second, I wondered why he hadn't just gone home with one of the women that were probably queuing to sit on his lap back at the club.