Chapter Eight; Routine

• Dedicated to Nicole

I hummed a little tune, feeling happy than I had yesterday. I had turned over a new leaf, and both boys would now get equal chances again. I didn't feel it was fair to Jason, and I decided to confront him later. I made a mental note of this and then continued my morning routine.

I dressed in some grey tracksuit bottoms and a white t-shirt and then put my white and blue trainers on. I wouldn't normally wear something like this- but I had been told by another note at the end of my bed with these clothes, that we would be doing a fitness activity of some kind and to come prepared. I brushed my hair into a ponytail and then ran downstairs energetically.

"MORNING EVERYONE!" I shouted loudly, causing Betty, Martha, Jason and Jared to come running. The boys instantly looked at my chest and my face heated up. Maybe I should have worn something not so... revealing. The two maids sagged in relief and then pulled up straight.

"What can I prepare for your breakfast?" Betty asked us all loudly, changing the subject and there was something like... Jealousy? Aimed at me while the boys stared at my chest.

"Just some classic English breakfast." Jason said, turning to her and barely glancing at her as she yanked on Martha's arm to get cooking. The two maids then hurried out of the room. Jared turned to glare at Jason and put an arm around my shoulder.

"You stop checking my girlfriend out." He said to Jason, and Jason looked at me with this overwhelming sadness and rejection in his wonderful eyes. Jason then looked down and stuck his hands deep into his pockets.

"Melanie, I'll talk to you later about last night.. I need to have some words with my brother." Jared said with a fiery anger in his normally calm green eyes. I nodded and looked, with a sorry glance, at Jason that said we'd talk later, before heading to the dining room.

"Just to let you know, I'm gonna get Jared eventually- you won't be together for long, and then you will both be hurt, as I'm not planning on staying with Jared for too long." Betty said, making my eyes widen as I watched her bring a large dish of English breakfast to the table in front of me.

"You can try- but I'm sure Jared isn't gullible enough to go cheat on me with someone like you." I said, glaring at Betty who had revealed a selfish nature underneath her golden girl exterior. Her green eyes lit up as she stared right into my eyes.

"You're on." She said threateningly, wiping her sweaty hands on her apron and scurrying out of the room like a little mouse. I almost laughed. But she had threatened me- and I needed to warn Jared.

Me and Jared met up in the main hall after my breakfast, him being groomed and ready for whatever weird activity he'd planned for us today.

"Lets go then."

I said quickly, beginning to walk away from him before he grabbed my arm and warned:

"Just to let you know, don't expect me to stay with you if you go off with my brother. You need to be committed in a relationship." Jared stated calmly, looking at me to see my expression. I kept a calm composure and said:

"Oh don't worry Jared. I wouldn't want anyone except you- but the same goes for if you go off with someone else. Don't expect me to take you back." I replied, matching his rules. We both straightened and then Jared said,

"Thank God. And don't worry, I don't plan on leaving you." Jared said warmingly, making me know he wouldn't just go off with Betty. I calmed down and we began to walk behind the stairs- down a corridor I hadn't noticed before. We then opened a door and walked down some stairs into what I supposed was the basement. But it had been converted into a gym.

A large muscular man walked out of a door in the back of the gym, and he looked at Jared kindly,

"Jared, my man! Long time no see! I hope you're both in tiptop condition, 'cause I have some serious workouts and stretches devised for you!" He said, clearly the gym instructor. How Jared and Jason could afford all this staff on top of the house.. the cars... the luxuries.. was beyond me.

"We're starting with some simple fighting martial arts training!" He said enthusiastically, making me groan.

So thats exactly what we did.

The warm-up just consisted of running on the spot for a very long time. It then followed on with ten press ups, sit-ups, star jumps, squat thrusts, prisoner squats and tuck jumps. When this was done, the instructor turned to us and smiled, hardly worn out at all because he just stood there watching us and shouting out orders!

"Right. Now lets get on to some real fighting." The instructor said enthusiastically. There was more? I thought that was it! Well I didn't.. but.. never mind.

Jared got in a 'stance' as the instructor called it, his legs spread apart, his left taking a step towards me and his right following behind. I copied his stance opposite him.

"Fight!" The instructor shouted suddenly.

Out of no where, two jabs came towards my body, one to my chest and one to my head, and Jareds leg swept my back leg in a tackle, so I ended up on the floor. I groaned in pain.

"Repeat the process! This time, Melanie, try to fight back!" The instructor barked.

So Jared again punched at my chest, but I blocked it, and he punched at my head successfully. I threw a round kick at his head but he ducked under and swept his leg back into my back leg that was supporting the kick. I just made it easier for me to fall over!

"Lets go again, keep going, we're not stopping until Melanie wins!" The instructor said, no feedback given, I had to work out how to win all by myself!

****************************

Dedicated to Nicole for some awesome ideas and for being a great friend :)