4 | 𝑹𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒑𝒕. 1

☤

......

𝟏𝟏 | 𝐒𝐢𝐱 𝐃𝐚𝐲𝐬, 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝑆𝐸𝐴𝑇𝑇𝐿𝐸

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟔

"Uh, who's presenting?" Richard asked.

Gabrielle stood in Harold's room with hers and Bailey's interns and most of the O'Malleys family. She glanced around the room at the food and the party hats as the O'Malley celebrated Harold's surgery.

"Oh, can Georgie do it?" Harold asked. "He's real good."

Gabrielle glanced at George, who looked at her, and she gave a slight nod as the O'Malleys cheered him on. She knew George needed this after going through everything with his dad.

"Um...Harold O'Malley 63 status post aortic valve replacement. Morning chest x-rays showed no atelectasis after aggressive C.P.T for the last two days." George said. "Um, scheduled for a transhiatal esophagectomy tomorrow morning at 9."

Silence rang throughout the room, and Gabrielle bit her lip to hide her smile from the O'Malleys looking doe-eyed at George. She could see from the blank looks on their faces that it went over most, if not all, of their heads.

"That's it," George said.

The O'Malleys cheered, raising their hands in the air that Gabrielle was sure it could have been heard from down the hall.

"Um, for the next few minutes, I think it would be best if the extended family could wait out in the waiting area," Bailey said as the cheering quieted down.

Gabrielle watched as people left the room groaning while a smile graced her lips.

"Just a few minutes, guys, and then you can come back," Harold told them.

Gabrielle walked to Harold's beside side and smiled. "How do you feel, Harold?"

"He's feeling great." Lousie, his wife, said. She grabbed his hand. "Better than ever he said. Which is why we had everybody come out today because we figured after today he maybe won't be feeling so great for a while."

"Uh, after the surgery, uh, then when do we start chemo and stuff?" Harold asked, staring at Gabrielle.

"That protocol depends on what we find when we open you up, Harold," Richard explained.

Gabrielle glanced at Meredith. "Grey."

"There is only so much they can tell from labs and scans, so they really need to get a good look inside to see if cancer has spread," Meredith said.

"If it's spread, that changes how much chemo he needs?" Louise asked as her brows pinched in confusion.

Gabrielle glanced from Harold to Louise as Richard said, "That changes a lot of things."