1 | 𝑨 𝑵𝒆𝒘 𝑯𝒐𝒎𝒆

☤

......

𝟖 | 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐧

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝑆𝐸𝐴𝑇𝑇𝐿𝐸

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟔

A breath entered Gabrielle's lungs as she stared at the busy hospital staff moving around her. She glanced in awe at the Americans. It was a change from her home in France and the weather, which Gabrielle knew she would have to get used to.

A tug on one of her hands made Gabrielle glance down with a smile at her oldest daughter.

"Maman," Mirielle whined. "I want to see Mark."

Gabrielle rolled her eyes before crouching down, bringing her other daughter to her sister's side. "I know, mon ange. After my meeting, okay?"

"Okay." Mirielle sighed. "Do you think he remembers us?"

She brushed light brown curly waves out of her daughters' faces. "Of course he does. Both of you."

"Can we get strawberry ice cream?" Mirabelle asked as Gabrielle stood up.

Gabrielle raised a brow. "Did you check your sugar?"

"No," Mirabelle said.

She gripped her daughter's hands as she walked to a reception desk. "Let's check first."

"Okay," Mirabelle sighed, resting her head on her mother's stomach when stopping.

Gabrielle smiled at her daughters before glancing at the receptionist. "Hi, I'm Gabrielle. I have an appointment with Dr. Webber."

"Take the elevator on your right and get off on the third floor." The receptionist said. "The chief is waiting for you in his office."

Gabrielle smiled. "Merci." She walked towards the elevator but paused when seeing a blonde doctor talking to an older businesswoman.

"I love my job. I love Mia more." The woman told the doctor. "She is my baby. She's my—I love my daughter and my job. I'm not good at the mom stuff, but I'm good at my job."

Gabrielle glanced down at her children as the oldest one, Mirielle, pressed the elevator button for the third floor. She loved her job, but not as much as her children.

You only got one chance to be a parent.

"Richard, your marriage isn't over until you decide it is." A woman with red hair said as the man with black hair nodded. "Until you decide that the—well, that the sacrifice just isn't worth it."

Gabrielle didn't know the first thing about being married but growing up. She didn't have any good role models for a healthy relationship either.

Her papa divorced her mère when she was five years old. But Gabrielle couldn't blame him because they both knew her mère had left them long ago.