Inside The Blood Witch

Scarlet watched in wonder as the world around her came to life. People appeared, in the middle of working. Men loading wagons, children carrying bags of hay and buckets of water. Women carrying babies, and men holding guns and giving orders. It was all very surreal as they moved around her. They were all dressed in older clothes, hoop skirts, dress pants, and rags. Scarlet's mouth hung open as she realized they were slaves.

Scarlet watched as a tall caramel complexion woman walked through the crowd, without a care in the world. Her dark eyes fixed on her, unwavering with a hint of a challenge. This woman was dressed better than anyone. She wore a red and black gown that left her arms exposed and her hair was styled high on her head and adorned with jewels. Earrings dripped from her ears, red rubies, Scarlet thought as she got closer. A necklace matching the earrings sat delicately on her neck. She carried a fan, on one wrist and in the other a small purse.

The woman stopped right in front of Scarlet, and she realized that the woman and all the other people could see her. She looked down, seeing that she was now dressed in a plain white dress and heavy black shoes.

"Looking down today, are we?" The woman asked with a slight French accent. "That's not like you at all, child. Are you feeling okay today?"

"I am." Scarlet heard herself say. It was a surprise because she was so tongue-tied, she was sure she hadn't said a thing. It was as if the words came from someone else. However, the woman's satisfied look told her it had come from her.

"Good," the woman said haughtily, "I shall require your assistance in a moment, as my maid has taken a chill. Lord knows how, with this stifling heat; however, I've just checked on her and she is ill. I will send for you."

The woman walked away, leaving Scarlet with a chill. She did not know why, but that woman scared the shit out of her. She hadn't been mean, neither had she yelled, but there was just something about that lady that left a sour taste in her mouth.

Scarlet started again when a large hand came down on her shoulder. She turned to a heavy weighted black woman that looked like a grandma. She had a scarf around her head and her cheeks giggled as she said with wide eyes, "I been calling you for five minutes. Miss Lovey requested you to help her get ready for lunch. You best hurry up, child."

When Scarlet looked confused, she said, "Now none of that!" she yelled. "You will go, and you will be respectful. No matter what you think of that woman, she is the lady of the manor, and you will do what you must. It's just the way it is."

She dragged her the entire time she was talking. Through a kitchen, down a hall, up some stairs, and down another hall, to a double door. The large woman knocked and left, shooting Scarlet a stern look before descending the stairs. The door opened and Miss Lovey stood there in all her proud glory. She stood aside and let Scarlet in. As soon as she was through the door, the lady grabbed her arm and pushed her against the door.

"You have been following me, little Charlotte." She hissed.

That was when Scarlet connected the dots. This was not her memory or something from a past life. This was Charlotte's memory, and this lady was Lovey. Charlotte's teacher.