Chapter Nine (Edited)

An hour later and I was ready to face the Queen. I'm sure she would not like my outfit, but that is one topic I wanted to bring up. I was so pumped up when I took my shower, dressed and let the girls do my hair. Now I was a little apprehensive. If I got disrespectful, could she really be Henry the eighth me. White skinny jeans and off the shoulder orange and beige sweater. The holes in the sweater were big, so I put on a white spaghetti strap tank top under it. Then topped it off with my burnt orange ballerina flats. Now time to do damage control.

Starting with granny. After being told that she was in her office, I made my way there, glad that I didn't see either of those damn princes. I really was dreading apologizing to them. I knocked softly on the door and when she bade me to enter, I did. I could immediately tell that she was not a happy camper. She squared her shoulders and took off her reading glasses, pushed whatever paper she was reading to the side and said in a gruff voice. "Victoria."

Was that a question? Was I meant to sit down? Naw I was going to stand. I would need my back bone for today, and I needed to stand my ground. Not to mention I'd rather be close to the door just in case, she split my neck in half. I was here to plead my case. Not to mention I had questions.

"Grandma, I was told how I acted last night, and I want to start this with an apology. It was completely out of character for me. I was rude and terrible company. I did not know that wine was so strong and then at the same time I mean, come on you announce to a room full of people that I'm supposed to marry that jerk head of a prince, which really grandma, that should not have been the first time I heard that. Then you say you're stepping down soon, which was another first. I was in shock and some very nice person was continually filling my cup up. I am sorry once again and I would like to now sit down with you and discuss some concerns I have sober and ladylike."

I waited a beat. Make that two. She wasn't moving, and she said nothing. Why was she not saying anything? I had got all that out almost in one breath and she had nothing to say, apparently. Maybe there was no coming back from this.

Then she smiled, "Come here Victoria." She said, motioning towards the chair. It was like she was talking to the child in me.

Relieved, I smiled to and walked over to her desk and sat in the very soft chair.

"You remind me so much of your father. He was a horrid drunk, just awful. I learned long ago that a drunk man never lies. I listen to you last night when you were babbling and I know you meant everything that you said. On some issues I can agree whole hearted. Cornell is arrogant and very egotistical, but this marriage was arranged when you were only days old and it will be honored. We Lecresians are a prideful people. Full of honor and unity. Unifying our countries will ensure peace forever. There was a time we didn't have that. If you do not do this, your honor will be tarnished. You cannot think of yourself anymore, Victoria. You must think of the good of the people. The people love the princes, as do I, although no one quite works a nerve like you do. As messed up as they are, you, my dear, are just the queen he will need. Someone to put him in his place and call him on his crap."

I giggled. I knew she wanted to curse. "Okay, so I marry the prince. I'm willing to consider this, but I have some conditions."

"There are no conditions to this Victoria," She said sternly. "You will marry the prince and you will do it happily. You have time to grow to like him."

"But..." I began.

"No buts," She interrupted, "I do not tolerate disobedience well. I am being lenient with you because you are still learning your place. Do not misunderstand that. You will learn your place and you will do everything I tell you."

My face fell. The moment was over. My reminiscing, loving granny was gone and in her place was the queen. Straightening my shoulders, I said, "What if I don't want this? What if I don't want any of this?"

The Queen humphed and took a deep breath as she stared at me with hard eyes. "If you do not want to do what is expected of you, I can't make you. However, there is more than just you to consider. If you do not become queen, under our laws, your mother could be extradited and arrested. You are the only thing stopping me from doing that. Kidnapping a princess is very frowned upon here and seeing as you should have never left LaCreshan soil, it was also a high level of treason. You would have known who you were. I don't wish there to be bad blood between us, Victoria, but you will find I can stoop quite low. Which I will do before I see my legacy given to your leech of a cousin. That is what will happen. This life was never meant for you, but it is yours now. So own it."

"Is that blackmail?" I asked. The old bat was desperate. I could see it on her face. So not being a princess wasn't an option. "That is so fucked up."

"It is your duty to be the best Queen this country has ever had. Even better than me. I will see it before I die, so help me God. Even if you kick and scream the whole way. You are not my first royal teen, but you are my last. Thank God. I will mold you and teach you the ways. You are a reflection of me."

Truthfully, I was still on the blackmail. A reflection of her? She was a stone cold bitch and I would never be like her. However, I didn't want to have to hug my mom through bars, so I was going to do as I was told. There were always loopholes. I just had to find one. "I won't make this easy for you, and I still have some demands. I'll marry your prince, but I want a long engagement at least five years."

"I'll give you ten months."

"Two years."

"One year."

The finality in her voice let me know she would not budge another inch. I growled, "Fine, and I want to wear what I want to."

"As long as there are no royal guests, wear what you want, but on outings and events, you will dress correctly. You have many fine clothes to choose from, do them justice. The rules are simple, any problems with them you take up with your council."

The council she was referring to was a group of men older than the queen who could not hear or see. That could be an advantage, except they were very good at no. "Speaking of that," I said huffing, "they suck. They are old and dry and they make me sleepy. I want my friends here. I want people I trust on my council."

The Queen said nothing, and I realized she was waiting for me to finish my demands. I smiled and dropped it all on her. "I don't want to wear those itchy ass pantyhose, okay? I'll wear them to church, but not out in ninety degree weather. I want to amend my council, I want my friends on there, if I can convince them to come and live here. I want a license, I want to drive myself sometimes. I don't want to go to church three times a week. I'll go Sundays and only Sundays. I want potatoes, I heard y'all don't like them here, but I love potatoes and French fries. Last, I want V-necks back."

"No. Yes. No. Yes. Yes, and No." The Queen replied. "You must wear stockings, that is tradition. You really should be covered except for your head and wrist, but I'm sure you will never comply. I have to first meet these friends and if they will be on the council, they must stay here. They have to be properly trained, and it is a serious position. They only get fifteen off days a year. If you bring them here, they will be your responsibility, but changing your council is expected, so do your best."

"That was too easy."

"You will learn to decide quickly. You will never get a license. We can't risk you being in a crash."

I rolled my eyes and stated the obvious, "I could be in a crash with a driver."

"You will always be safe in the back," she said. "It is insulated and prepared to cushion any tumbles, and your cars are equipped with the best fire-resistant materials. The back seat is the safest place for you. Church is fine for just the Sundays, and I can tolerate potatoes, but no V-necks, your bosom is already too large."

"This was easier than I thought it would be," I admitted, skeptically.

"I'm not so difficult. Now the prince is another matter. He really didn't enjoy your little show last night. Now go find your fiancé, apologize to him, and be nice. If you try, you may even grow to like him. Make this right and let this be the last time you drink so much or so help me god you will be drinking water at dinner and that is just not the way it should be." She said, shooing me out of her office.

"He irks my soul, and he knew. He knew we were engaged, and he never told me. He likes to push my buttons." I said.

She looked me dead in the eye and put her glasses back on her face and said, "Well, my dear, you must learn to push his."