Chapter Seven (Edited)

When I got to my apartment, the girls were there, and they were fussing over me as usual. Talking about how I needed to change for dinner and look elegant. It was dinner. Period. What I really wanted to wear were shorts and a tee shirt, but, they thought that was not a good idea. Low key I went with it simply because I was kind of looking forward to kicking it with the prince, later, and yeah, I wanted to look good.

So after doing some fussing of my own I allowed them to change me into a nice grey dress that draped in the front but was not too low and it came to my knees. On the side was a black and silver dragon design. I added my ankle opened toed booties and let them put my hair up in a loose, messy ponytail and I was ready.

Sadie sat back on my bed with a big smile on her face, and she even clapped her hands. "You look gorgeous, the prince won't know what hit him"

"I don't care what the prince thinks." I lied, while looking at myself in the mirror. "I still don't see why I have to change. I was very comfortable in my yellow dress. Where I'm from we eat comfortable. I'm going to look so fat if I get full."

Sadie sat up looking serious, "It's customary, you are a princess, if it were just family it wouldn't matter but you have guest and they are all here to see you."

"I wonder if granny B is going to enjoy seeing my tattoos." I had one easily visible on my calf, and five others that were not visible. The old bat would probably have a cow. I had never met a princess, but I'm sure they did just have tattoos all out in the open. The one on my arm wasn't the worst. It was a flower. Hopefully, I'd get to keep my neck after this important dinner.

"It will do. Now go, time for your grand entrance." Sadie said, shooing me out of the room. I smiled. She was definitely getting more comfortable around me, and I loved it. I rolled my eyes and headed to the dining room. The Herald seemed surprised when I finally found it and he took in my dress with a wide eyes stare. He looked like he had never seen a woman with curves before.

"Come on Nemo," I nicknamed him, "Let me in, or do I get the door myself?"

"As you wish, Princess." he said stiffly. "Princess Royal Victoria." Nemo yelled, and I winked at him. I could have sworn he blushed as I walked past.

I walked in and came to a stop at the head of the table. Granny B stood proudly, extending her arm to me. That was a nice change. She was smiling. I walked to her quickly, unnerved by the fact that the table for forty actually held forty people and they were all looking at me, and to top it off, the only vacant seat, on granny B's right was on the left of prince stupid.

Why, why, why does fate always have a way of making me hate the world? How was I supposed to eat and drink and make happy with him next to me? It was a recipe for disaster. As I reached the queen, she grabbed me in a hug and said, "That dress is scandalous. Burn it after this dinner."

Then she smiled at the guests and introduced everyone to me. I smiled but felt the daggers every time she looked at me. She was not happy and pinched her lips at my tattoos. I zoned out about halfway through the introductions, mostly because the wine in my glass looked nice and cold.

"Somebodies in trouble," Prince Cornell said, leaning my way slightly.

"Story of my life."

"Just smile and nod," he said. "The only person you have to actually have to entertain is me and the queen, but good luck with that. She will be caught up with the Duke of Chari, the gentlemen to her left." I took in the portly man to grandma's left. He was all in her personal space. He may as well have climbed into the chair with her.

"The Duchess of Chari, who is sitting next to him, will be red as a tomato with envy by the end of this dinner. The Duke has been in love with the Queen for many years and everyone knows it. The man next to her, The Duke of Hogan, will be asleep by the third course and his wife will pretend to eat. Seriously, she only picks at it."

"You have all the tea huh,?" I asked.

"And the coffee," he added.

I laughed, earning a scowl from my granny and a grin from Cornell. I tried to keep it together as he continued giving me everyone's dinner habits and telling all their business.

The meal was pleasant. I spoke to everyone who speaks to me. I tried to keep it short and quickly learned that these people loved talking about themselves. They were all Dukes and Duchesses. Counts and Countess. Consorts and Princes. Some extended family had come to, but there was not one other Princess. I had hoped to maybe meet one. Since that was my new title, I was hoping maybe she could give me some pointers to this princess thing. The food was wonderful, but they were a little stingy with everything but the soup. Everyone was polite, even granny B. It was nice.

I was painfully aware of Cornell the whole evening. He had a bad case of wandering hands under the table. He touched me so much I almost got used to it. My leg, my thigh, my waist and hips. I had half a mind to front him out, but this definitely wasn't the place. The other half of my brain, let's just say, it wasn't on the same page. He was seriously messing with my hormones. Whenever he touched me, I would tense up and try hard not to look at him.

The few times I had looked, he wasn't looking at me. He looked like he was really interested in what the Duke of whatever was saying. He was a pro, I thought. To get him back, I would pinch his hand, which didn't seem to bother him much. I knew because it did nothing to deter him at all. So by the third course, I felt like a pro. After a while, I didn't flinch every time he touched me. By dessert, I was touching him.

As dessert was being served, wonderful individual strawberry shortcakes, mine had extra whipped cream. I slid my fingertips up his thigh. It was a light touch, but it was enough. For the first time since dinner had started, his blue eyes met mine. His held surprise, mine held a challenge. Then he smiled and I couldn't help smile back.

Our connection was broken as my grandmother stood up and the whole table went quiet. She looked to the servers, and they came forward filling every one's champagne glasses. Announcement time. I gave her my full attention, even though I could feel his eyes on my neck.

"I would like to thank you all for attending this welcome dinner for my granddaughter, your future queen. I would like to take the time to say that hopefully, this time next year I will be stepping down and she will take over ruling LaCresha. I know this is sudden, but I wanted you all to know first, my dearest friends and family." She spoke so proudly. It was amazing how she commanded the room, and she didn't yell. She was such a strong queen, I thought, even if she didn't like me.

"I want everyone to help Victoria as much as possibly needed, as you all know she is the last of the Duvall line. My dearest wish is to see LaCresha succeed as never before, and I am sure that with Prince Cornell at her side, she exceeds all expectations." My grandmother was saying.

I was with her all the way until she said his name. Did she mean because he was sitting next to me? I was stunned to silence, but I had questions. I looked at Cornell, but he only had eyes for the queen. His body language spoke volumes, though. He gulped, and his square jaw was tense. I flinched as he grabbed my hand and gave a squeeze, as if to calm me. It didn't work. instead, my pulse picked up, waiting for the punchline.

"So a toast to my granddaughter and her future husband, Prince Cornell." She continued, and that was all I heard. The table erupted in applause and champagne was drunk, but I just sat there. Future? What, by my side, become queen? What the fuck. I looked at Cornell, and he was looking at me. It was then that I realized, he knew all along. The guilt in his face was evidence enough. I wrenched my hand away from his and looked to my grandmother, who had taken her seat again. She sipped her wine and slightly lifted it to me. I looked at my full glass.

I lifted it and took it back. It was good, and I raised it for more and immediately it was refilled. I took that back to and swallowed. Might as well get drunk. I could really trip off what all this meant later.