Chapter Fifteen

Anaya

"You stubborn girl," the voice said angrily.

The creature I had eyes on slowly got up and it was tall. Its head hunkered down as its eyes glowed yellow. I was its target and I had nowhere to go as the voice left me alone with the only thing standing in this basement.

Getting up with a throbbing head from being thrown, I turned and ran for the stairs but the creature already leaped off its hind legs and its claws tore into my back, bringing me down with such force I smacked my jaw on the stair. Iron-rich taste seeped from my lip as I was dragged against the rough chilly cement. I cried out, screaming for help. Among the mounds, I was the only living body. No matter how hard I kicked or slammed my fists into the thick fur, I was too young for this. Claws tore into my back and legs. I screamed out once more.

"It shouldn't hurt any longer. The pain will go away." The voice said behind the door.

The pain will go away.

The pain will fade away.

The pain spread through every vein, every nerve.

The pain churned my insides.

Pain lingered all through my body, everywhere. It hurts to wake and squint an eye. The smell of this cage was rather revolting. I had a hard time staying asleep with the freezing cold ground below me as I was in the skimpy nightgown, and the recurring nightmare. Not even a blanket to keep me warm. Not a soul to check if I was okay as my throat stung, I knew I was screaming. There was a sink but the water ran so cold, my fingers would go purple.

I can't cry a single tear now. I can't even manage food, nor want it. All the guards treat me like a prisoner here. No one to check on me, no one to aid me. I laid here feeling more miserable than I was being held hostage in a small room, before I knew I could eat any food. That struck a pang in my heart and it took my breath away. I whimpered out, unable to roll to my other side to relieve the aches building in my muscles.

Did my ears betray me or were there footsteps approaching? There was a slight clash with someone's footing and I peaked with one eye. The amber lights from the torches showed shadows approaching. Then there was one guard, two guards. Now I think a knight? Then another man walked into view and he looked nothing like the others. His uniform was very admirable being dark red with a plethora of medals on his upper chest and off his shoulder. He stepped forward to the cage and motioned to the door.

"Uh, are you sure General Marcino?" the guard asked.

He didn't look away from me, I could tell his gaze was on me and not in that way. His features were soft in the light next to him. He nodded and the guard unlocked the cage, a scratchy sound made me wince and shut my eyes. That didn't help the pulsing throb in my head.

Marcino drew near me, kneeling down to my level and a brush of his hand touched my forehead, then my cheek. A strange staticy feeling came from his gentle touch and I opened my eyes again to see what he was up to. My eyes met with his and they were a pale green, like the color of a sunkissed grove. He had gingery stubble and looked too young for all of the medals that dangled from him.

"When was the last time she ate? Drank water? Had medical attention?" he said. His voice was deeper and gruffier than I imagined.

One of the guards looked at the knight and shrugged, "I don't think she has since she was detained here. She refused."

"Did she refuse, or was she unable?" he grumbled.

"She was unable, General."

Marcino lowered his head, thinking for a moment before rubbing his hand angrily over his mouth before standing up and facing the knight, "By order, she needs a doctor and fresh food, now."