016

Mereneith had never stepped foot into the palace before, and she would never have imagined doing so under such harrowing circumstances. Disguised as a regular palace maid, much like she had been dressed when she boarded the ship to Saqqara, she quietly followed behind the steward that Nefermaat had arranged to sneak her in.

As the second prince explained, security in the palace had indeed been tightened. There was a guard stationed at every doorway, studying her every movement with suspicion when she walked by.

She kept her head lowered, clutching tightly to the wooden tray upon which balanced a basin of water and a clean washcloth.

Eventually they came to a stop in front of an arched doorway that was lined with gold paint, shuttered by an elaborate two-panel bronze door carved with symbols that represented the blessings of Ptah. There were two guards on duty outside, armed with sharpened spears whose metallic tips glistened threateningly under the light.

"It is time for the king's daily cleansing," the steward said to the guards with an obsequious smile. He gestured at the basin that lay on Mereneith's tray.

"This girl isn't the usual one," the heftier of the two guards said.

Mereneith held her ground and tried not to tremble.

"Yes, Ife is not feeling well today, so we had to get a replacement. Not to worry, she has passed the identity checks over at the regent's office."

The steward beckoned to Mereneith, and she quickly dug out a wooden pendant from her pocket that bore the insignia of Kanefer's household. It had been given to her by Nefermaat before she entered the palace, which made her both impressed and wary of the man's resourcefulness.

With a loud groan, the heavy doors were pushed open, clearing the way for Mereneith and the steward to enter.

The king's private chambers were larger and more lavish than anything she had seen before—even more so than Nefermaat's residence, which had already been enough to leave her awestruck. It was divided into the outer and inner chambers, both of which had high ceilings and large, arch-shaped windows that provided a stunning view of the date palms that lined the gardens outside.

"Be quick," the steward whispered into her ear as they moved towards the king's inner chamber.

"Who is it?" an airy voice called out from within.

"My lady," the steward greeted, bowing deeply. "Is the king's condition still as before?"

Mereneith took one glance at the woman who had just stepped across the threshold between the outer and inner chambers and immediately shied away, hiding herself behind the steward's frame as best as she could.

It was Lady Tiye.

Her heartbeat quickened, hoping and praying that the lady did not recognise her from their brief encounter at the necropolis.

"Unfortunately so. The physicians left not so long ago, but they reported no improvement. It is extremely worrying," Tiye replied, yet Mereneith could detect no degree of concern in those words whatsoever.

"I am sure the king will recover in due course, for he is blessed by the gods. You must be weary, my lady, with all the time you spend looking after His Majesty. Please, you must return to your chambers and rest."

Much to Mereneith's relief, Lady Tiye hummed in acknowledgement and walked away, disappearing through the main doors without so much as lifting an eyebrow in her direction. Her heart settled back down.

Once the lady had left, the steward nudged Mereneith in the ribs.

"Go," he said.

Mereneith walked to the king's bedside, purposefully avoiding the steely gaze of the lone guard stationed by the nearby window.