Chapter 4

All eyes are on us as we walk down the stairs

All eyes are on us as we walk down the stairs. Well all eyes are on me. I look straight ahead and stand tall, trying to mask my nerves. My grip on Lorenzo's arm tightens.

I can see him glance at me from the corner of my eye. When we reach the bottom of the stairs he removes his arm from around mine and places his hand gently on my lower back.

I shiver slightly, hoping he didn't notice but then I feel his breath on the side of my face and he says "good girl" He's already looking down at me when I look up at him.

I look into his eyes. Fucking hell, why are they so  beautiful. They darken as he looks down at me, it's like he knows what I'm thinking. He pauses before moving forward and pulling me along with him.

We walk around for half an hour greeting people and I make sure to make friends with as many wives as possible. And honestly I thought there would be more.

"So, let's see the ring" the woman says stepping away from her husband and grabbing my hand. "Oh wow, that's gorgeous" she says as she examines the ring.

"Thank you" I say smiling at her. She's a short woman, maybe about 5'. And I tower over her even though I'm only 5'8. She has long blond hair and looks about my age, maybe a few years older.

"I'm Alyssa Thompson. My husband, Elijah, we are a part of the American mafia. It's a pleasure to meet you miss " She says.

"Oh, the pleasure is all mine, it's lovely to meet you and please call me Rosalie." I tell her.

"Oh, of coarse" I glance at Lorenzo and see that him and Elijah are having a conversation but they are speaking in hushed tones. "Business as usual"Alyssa says.

I nod. "So how long have you and mr Thompson been together" I ask politely.

"We've been married for almost 3 years, it was an arranged marriage, but we don't complain about it anymore." She explains.

"Are you in love?"

She smiles and the gently grabs my arm "no"

Some part of me wants to believe that an arranged marriage can lead to love but that's just not how the world works, at least that's not how my world works. The world I live in, You either fall in love and get married or you get married and never fall in love.

Unfortunately for me it's the later option. I'm going to get married, forced to do things that I don't want to do, create a family with a man that I don't love and then eventually, I'll die.

I look down at my hands. I can't do this.

"Do you know where the bathroom is?" I ask Alyssa.

"Yes" she points to a hallway across the room "it's down that hall" she says.

"Thank you" I say before nervously walking and tapping Lorenzo on the arm. He turns.

"What is it?" He asks looking down at me.