Chapter 1

Wish.

It's a desire for wanting or needing something. Few wishes come true , few don't. Few wishes are fulfilled with hard work while few just happen. Unfortunately for Quinn , her wish to have her parents with her would never come true , at least that's what she thinks.

Since the time she started having an understanding about the things around her , she yearned for her parents to be there beside her , at least physically. It wasn't that the orphanage she stayed in was bad , it was good. But , kids are more happy when they have their parents beside them , guiding and nourishing them.

Quinn didn't know how she was in the orphanage. She didn't know, whether she was bought here after her parents died or whether her parents couldn't take care of her and gave her to this orphanage. Whatever the situation was , she could not make herself hate her parents. She always felt a connection with them , like they were around her , watching her every move.

By the age of 6, Quinn had given up on finding her family , and since she was shy , she hardly made friends. The day she turned 7 , was the day when a kid came and broke her shell of shyness.

She was wandering around in the orphanage, when she saw a boy sitting outside the office , looking around. His eyes fell on her , smiling at her , he waved. Quinn looked around to see who he was waving at , and realised it was her.

She looks at him and smiled back. She then turns to leave when she heard him say , "Happy Birthday!".

Hearing that , she stopped and turned in shock.

"Ho-how do you know it's my birthday?", she asks him in utter confusion. He didn't reply to her question with words , but with a smile. She went to sit beside him and poked him.

"How do you know it's my birthday?"

He chuckled and points at the board beside the office , that had her photo , and a small banner which had "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!' written on it.

"Oh.", she replies , embarrassed by her stupidity. "Thank you."

"You're welcome , umm?"

"Quinn. You?"

"Nathan."

Their conversation was cut short when a man came out with the head of the orphanage Jenna. Jenna looks at Quinn and smiled.

"Quinn , will you show your new friend around the orphanage dear?" , Jenna asks her. She nods , and then looked at the man , who gave her a warm smile.

"Happy Birthday , Quinn." , he said. She looks at him in confusion and then remembered the board. She smiles at him politely and said Thank you to him.

The man then kneels in front of the boy and held his hand.

"Take care of yourself Nathan , and I'll come to meet you time to time , okay?"

Nathan hugged the man.

"I'll miss you Dad, I'll take care of myself and do what you told me to."

Nathan's dad smiled and got up to go , saying his final byes , he left. Nathan looked down , when Jenna tilts his chin to make him face her.

"You'll enjoy your stay here Nathan. Don't worry. Now Quinn will show you around."

"Okay."

"Quinn , come to the hall at 4 , and check your bed after showing Nathan around. Okay?"

"Okay."

Quinn got down the bench , Nathan beside her as she showed him around. The orphanage was more like a boarding school , it wasn't really bad , and Quinn by now knew that Jenna favoured her more than other kids , that being another reason why kids hardly spoke to her.

"Why are you living here if your parents are alive?"

"Dad did not want to me to be a rich spoilt boy , so he sent me here cause he knows Aunt Jenna , she is my distant relative."

"Oh , what's your age?"

"Turned 10 this year. You?"

"Seven."

--

Quinn and Nathan quickly became close friends , sharing secrets. Nathan would tell her about his life with his parents , but she always had a feeling that he was hiding something from her , something she never paid much attention to.

--

Quinn was doing her school work , when Nathan came in with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"Quinn , guess what?"

"What?"

"Dad's coming to pick me up. We are going out for the whole week!"

Quinn's smile disappeared for a second , but she faked one immediately.

"Wow. That's great Nate. Enjoy."

Nathan sensing her sadness smiles and puts his arm around her shoulders. She looks at him , raising an eye.

"Why are you sitting here? Go pack your bags.", he said.

"Why?"

"Gosh Quinn , you think I'll leave you alone here? You're coming with me , dad told me to bring you as well. Actually I asked him and he said yes , she can definitely come. So , go pack your bags!"

"You're lying."

"No. You know me since 3 years now , you know I don't lie."

Quinn looks at him raising an eye. He smiles sheepishly and continues , "I do. Just not about this. I am definitely not leaving you alone again , after what happened last time."

The last time Nathan went to his home on weekend , few boys and girls who were jealous of the attention Quinn got from Jenna and Nathan , picked on her , one of them even pushing her from the stairs.

"Okay. But let me finish this first."

"NO! Go and pack. I'll help you with it later."

"Nate , I don't have a suitcase."

"Wait , take your clothes out , I'll ask Aunt Jenna."

Saying this he hopped out of the bed and went. Quinn went to her cupboard and took out her clothes. Unlike others in the orphanage , Quinn used to get money from time to time. She didn't know from where , and Jenna won't tell her , so she assumed her parents sent it. At times Nathan's parents would also send her gifts , whenever they came to visit Nathan. Quinn was glad that Nathan's family was sweet enough to treat her like their own daughter.

Nathan came back with a suitcase , and then helped her in packing. After a while , both the kids , lied on her bed , Quinn asking him questions about where they were going and him answering it , sleepily.

Their conversation was stopped when Jenna and Mr Adams came inside. Nathan and Quinn sat up , looking at them. Nathan got down and hugged his dad.

"Hi Mr Adams."

"Quinn , you know, you can call me dad or uncle. Your family , so you don't need to be formal."

Quinn smiled and nods , giving him a light hug.

"So are you two all packed up?"

The two nod excitedly. Jenna kissed Quinn's forehead.

"Take care and enjoy sweetie."

"I will."

Bidding their byes , Quinn , Nathan , and Chris go to Chris' car. Sitting in the car , Quinn felt extremely excited. After all , it was her first trip with people she considered family.

****

How was it? Do share your views.