1|Crush

Junkyu and Jihoon had been the best of friends since they were in 3rd grade.

Junkyu transferred to the same school Jihoon has been attending to since he was young. The two became close immediately due to many similar interests in life.

The duo were almost inseparable. They always spent time with each other. They ate together, played together, and studied together.

Jihoon was always the top student in 3rd grade and the president of their class. He was a social butterfly that could get along easily with anyone. Junkyu always came in second.

However, when they accelerated to 4th grade Junkyu took the title of the top student. Jihoon ranked second.

Jihoon at first felt a bit angry by this. He honestly didn't mind if Junkyu ranked first than him. His grades were high too and only a few numbers were lesser than Junkyu's. He wasn't that obsesses with always ranking first in class.

It was the pressure of his parents though. It was like a sin to humankind if his grades weren't the best of the best. Jihoon didn't like he would have to let his parents know about this but he had to. And once they knew he was told to study harder, told that he had been playing too much and lacked the discipline to take his studies seriously.
When the ranking came out like that, Jihoon jokingly gave Junkyu the gesture of saying: "I've got my eye on you. I will beat you."

And that was maybe the start.

Or perhaps not.

It went on like that. Jihoon never placed first ever again. Junkyu always took that title. The latter wasn't doing it on purpose he just did what he had to do as a student and that was to study and learn.

The rankings remained like that when they reached fifth grade. Jihoon had just given up trying to beat Junkyu and just enjoy his student life. The two were still very close friends that played and studied together.

One day, the annual event of their school came wherein they battle against other fellow schoolmates in all kinds of possible sports played in their school. It was a one week event. Everyone just wore sports wear clothing and played both outdoor and indoor games.

One particular day on that one week event, Jihoon and Junkyu were watching a volleyball match. They were in opposing teams. Jihoon cheered for his team and Junkyu cheered for his.

They sat at the sides with their classmates that cheered along.

Their attention soon drifted away from the match and began a random conversation. The topic turned into something about crushes or crushing on someone.

Jihoon had heard a gossip from Doyoung, Junkyu's cousin, that Junkyu has a crush on someone. He said that the name of this person was Jihyo. When Jihoon first heard it, he noticed the close similarity of his name with this person's name. He didn't think much of it. He liked this piece of information though as he can use it to tease Junkyu.

So, going back to them talking about crushes at the volleyball match. Junkyu said something which insulted Jihoon, in a playful way.

And this is when Jihoon took the chance to use his secret card.

"Kim Junkyu! Take back what you said or I will find this Jihyo person you have a crush on and I'll make sure you'll look bad to her." Jihoon playfully threatened.

He saw the way Junkyu's eyes widened as his mouth clamped shut. Jihoon could see the look of dread in Junkyu's eyes the moment the name got out of his mouth. He laughed victoriously and continued teasing Junkyu about Jihyo.

"Junkyu, you must really like this person." Jihoon grinned. "You surely behave immediately the moment I mentioned Jihyo's name." he laughed.

Their classmates nearby that heard them laughed along. Junkyu looked flustered and nervously laughed it off.

Maybe that was when it started.

The days went on.

Jihoon would tease Junkyu about his crush. The more Jihoon saw Junkyu blushing and getting more flustered whenever Jihyo was mentioned, the more Jihoon became curious of who this person was.

Jihoon decided to ask more about Jihyo from Junkyu. The latter refused to give any information.

"Come on, Junkyu. Pleaseeeee?" Jihoon pleaded, giving his best friend puppy eyes.

"No way am I telling you anything." Junkyu looked away and tried walking away from him.

Jihoon quickly took hold of his arm to prevent him from leaving.

"Please tell me Junkyu! I just want to see who captured my introverted best friend's heart! Pleaseeee!" Jihoon shook Junkyu by the shoulders.

"Alright, alright! I will tell you! Stop shaking me!" Junkyu said annoyed already by his constant pestering.

"Yey!!!" Jihoon rejoiced. He let go of Junkyu and eagerly waited for Junkyu to tell him.

Junkyu sighed as he was released. He looked around nervous and then look at Jihoon in the eye.

"I'm not gonna tell you!" Junkyu said and quickly bolted away as fast as he could.

"What! Hey! You promised!!" Jihoon screamed at him. He made no move of running after Junkyu.

"No, I didn't!" Junkyu screamed back and showed his tongue.

Jihoon pouted and stomped his foot with a sigh as he watched Junkyu disappear into the school hallways. He went into thought and decided to ask someone else instead. He first thought of Jaehyuk.

Jaehyuk was their classmate. He was close with both Junkyu and Jihoon. Jihoon figured that maybe Junkyu has shared something about Jihyo to Jaehyuk.

(Lol so many names starting with J 😂)

"Jaehyukkkk!" Jihoon approached him.

"What is it Jihoon?" Jaehyuk asked his friend.

"Do you know anything about Jihyo? Junkyu's crush? He won't tell me anything." Jihoon pouted.

Jaehyuk was quiet for a few seconds before he answered.

"Well, you don't know her. She doesn't go to this school." Jaehyuk said.

"I know that, obviously." Jihoon said. "I know almost everyone in this school and I checked, there's no one here named Jihyo."

"Why do you want to find out anyway? It's not like you're going to meet her." Jaehyuk said to him.

"I just want to know how she looks. I'm his best friend. I have the right to know these things." Jihoon whined.

"Well, maybe there's a reason he doesn't want you to know. Atleast not yet, maybe." Jaehyuk said.

"What reason could there else be?! I mean, yes, maybe I might tease him too much but that's what best friends do!" Jihoon explained.

"Sorry Jihoon. It's not my place to tell you. If Junkyu doesn't want you to know yet then you should respect that." Jaehyuk smiled at him and patted his shoulders. "I'm gonna go to the comfort room. I need to pee." he shared.

"Ew! Too much information!" Jihoon backed away from him.

Jaehyuk laughed as he left their classroom.

Jihoon sighed feeling dejected. He felt sad as to why Junkyu wasn't telling him anything about Jihyo. What made him feel worse was that Jaehyuk knows more about her than he did.

He dropped his head to his table and groaned feeling very bothered by this. It was killing him to not know as he was a very curious person.

Throughout the whole day Jihoon was persistent in getting Junkyu or anyone else to tell him about Junkyu's crush. Well, when classes ended and they were now cleaning their room, Jihoon finally got the answer.

Yedam, is their classmate and a good friend of Junkyu and Jihoon as well. He pitied Jihoon but was also annoyed by his endless pestering. He snapped and finally told Jihoon what he knew about Jihyo.

"It's you! Idiot! Jihyo is you!"

And that's where it truly started.