Amelia

It was finally time. Heaven or Hell. I was wearing a white dress with tiny yellow flowers. I had on brown sandals and a tan sun hat sat nicely on my head. I was walking on a patch of grass floating on the clouds. At the end of the grass, was a door. Behind the door would determine where I belong in the afterlife.

Opening the door, I walked into a bedroom with pink walls. Next to the windows hung fluffy white curtains. Besides the flower nightlight, princess photos evenly lined the pink walls, leaving an open space just above the bed. The name Amelia was spelt out above the bed. The bedding had princesses and fairy wands and stars and crows all over. Above the bed hung a canopy, fluffy white curtains fell to the sides of the bed. Books lined the bookshelf and toy pins were neatly tucked into the extra book shelves. In the middle of the room was a table, with a tea set decorating it. Around the table were matching chairs, different dolls and stuffed animals sat in the chairs. There was a little girl wearing a green princess dress and a golden crown. Her brown hair fell behind her shoulders as she looked at me, her eyes lighting up.

"Do you want to have a tea party with me?" Her face was so adorable as she smiled. I smiled back.

"I would love to. " I walked over to the table and sat down next to it. The little girl walked over to her frog stuffed animal.

"Mr. Frog, you can share with me," She told Mr. Frog as she brought me his tea cup and matching plate. "I'm Amelia."

"Well, thank you Amelia, and thank you Mr. Frog for letting me use this cup," I started, Amelia giggling at what I said. "I'm Emily," I looked up at Amelia, smiling. Amelia sat in the chair next to Mr. Frog. "Amelia, how old are you?"

"I am four and three quarters old. I'll be five in August," I slimed at her and took a sip of my fake tea, Amelia copying my actions. "How old are you Emily?" My smile dropped slightly at the thought of my age.

"I'm seventeen," I answered as I looked down into my tea cup.

"You're almost in college!" Amelia said cheerfully. I looked up at her and saw the smile on her face.

"Yeah... I am," It was silent for a few seconds before taking a drink of my fake tea. I put my tea cup down to change the subject. "What are your other dollies and stuffties names?" Amelia put her cup down and walked around the table introducing me to all of the tea party guests. I played with Amelia until her mom walked in. I froze in place as she walked right past me, a basket of folded laundry on her hip.

"Mommy, mommy, I made a new friend, look!" Amelia called out, running up to her mom. She pointed at me and her mom followed her hand and looked at me. "Her name is Emily!"

"Is that who you've been talking to?" Her mom looked down at her. Amelia nodded. Her mom looked back up at me. "Well, I hope she's been good for you Emily, sometimes she can be a little crazy."

Amelia giggled. "I'm always good, mommy." It clicked. If any mother saw a stranger in their child's room they'd go completely insane. She can't see me. Only Amelia.

Later that night, Amelia's mom had just tucked Amelia in, said goodnight and walked out, closing the door behind her. Amelia's flower night light dimly lit up the room as she snuggled into her blanket, holding Mr. Frog. "Emily?"

"Yes?" I looked over at her.

"Can you tell me a bedtime story," I smiled and sat down on the edge of her bed. I brushed a piece of her hair out of her face.

"Sure bunny." With that, I told her the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. After a little while, Amelia fell asleep. It then dawned on me. I was sent to protect her. I was now her guardian angel.

Fourteen short years later Amelia was just called up to the stage. She wore her cap and gown as she walked forth to retrieve her high school diploma. Just a couple of hours earlier I was in her light pink bedroom helping her do her hair as she painted her nails.

"Look at her go," Aidan said as he walked up next to me. Aidan was the guardian angle of Amelia's boyfriend, Justin.

"They're so big now," I responded.

"Almost in college," He added.

"Oh that reminds me," I turned to face Aidan. "Keep your eyes on Justin."

"And why is that?"

"We don't want babies running around the place."

"Oh," He looked down as his cheeks started to get flushed. "Right. We wouldn't want that."

"Oh look," I lightly slapped his shoulder and he looked up. Amelia and the rest of her group stood up and threw their caps in the air. I cheered, along with the rest of the student's guardian angels.

My bunny has grown up.