Chapter 32

The team faces off against Everett Lynch one more time, and this time, they won't lose. Follows S15E9, "Face Off," and S15E10, "And in the End."

It had been a year since the BAU's first encounter with the Lynch family, and although Everett Lynch had been dormant for months, David Rossi had never stopped searching, digging, and developing theories. He caught a break when he realized that since he killed his daughter, Grace, Everett had begun looking for his father. His mother, Roberta, told Everett that his father was a former mark of hers named Douglas Moore, and that he'd drowned in a boating accident—it couldn't be a coincidence that Grace Lynch also "drowned" in Everett's story. Penelope found connections between Everett's aliases and a private investigator, Orlando Gaines, who had been paid to investigate Roberta's previous suitors.

"If Lynch never really knew who his father was, or if he had reason to doubt what Roberta told him, then that would motivate him to search for the truth," Tara said.

"Well, there's only one person we know that knows the whole truth, and that's Roberta," Matt replied, "And so if she's been manipulating everything in order to get out of jail, then—"

"It worked," Emily said, "At least, as far as the Louisiana state parole board goes. I have been notified that despite our objections, Roberta is being granted parole; however, her lawyer is telling me he's willing to let us speak with her one last time."

"Emily, I'd like to talk to Roberta," Spencer said.

"I would prefer you observe, actually," Emily replied, "I'd like to take her out of her comfort zone; that means JJ, Tara, you two get to do the honors."

Roberta was brought to Quantico for questioning, accompanied by her lawyer. Up until now, she had only dealt with the men of the BAU, and if there was one thing Roberta knew how to do, it was hold her own against a man. But now she would be up against two smart, savvy women who could see right through her act and throw her off her game, and the hope was that JJ and Tara could get under her skin in a way that Rossi, Matt, and Luke hadn't been able to.

"Hello, Roberta," JJ said, "I'm SSA Jennifer Jareau. This is Dr. Tara Lewis."

Tara slid a photo of Douglas Moore across the table to Roberta. "Remember him?"

"Uh, Dr. Lewis, let me remind you that Ms. Lynch is here of her own volition," the lawyer said, "I don't understand why you are taking a tone with her."

"Tone?" Tara repeated indignantly.

"Your adversarial tone," he said, "When she has done nothing but try to help you apprehend her very unstable son."

"Do either one of you have children?" Roberta asked.

"We're not here to talk about our families," JJ replied, "We're here because, while the State of Louisiana believes you've been very helpful in this investigation, we know the truth."

"The truth is that I'm profoundly sorry for what my granddaughter did to you, Agent Jareau," Roberta said, "But it is my sincere belief that it was my son who really pulled that trigger."

"Look, we know you think you're gonna get out of here and go punish your son for what he did to Grace," Tara said.

"And, I gotta be honest with you," JJ continued, "There's a real side of me that's saying, 'You go, girl. You're the one that brought him into this world; yeah, you should be the one to take him out of it.' But...I'm an officer of the law, and it's my duty to see that justice is served here, not revenge."