𝐢𝐢. 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐜𝐚

»»————««

ii.
l e t h o l o g i c a
when you think of something but the word for it escapes you.

»»————««

The scent of old books welcomes Kuroo into the library. Despite it being a quiet place to study, there's chatter floating amongst the students and faculty. But, it's not the liveliness of the people that beckons Kuroo.

He looks around, completely mesmerized by the large crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, perfectly reflecting the dim light around the room. Old wooden desks and chairs are assembled into neat rows, with banker lamps that he's only seen in movies, and tall bookshelves line the walls from the floor to the ceiling, showing off titles both old and new. There's even a red velvet carpet at the front entrance, running across the entire room and ending at the back where the librarian's desk is.

Kuroo holds the straps of his backpack a little tighter before continuing down the carpet. Every table is already occupied, either with students sitting solo, hunching over a book, or with groups of people engaging in deep conversations.

But even with all of the faces, Kuroo scans them in search of one, and he's reached the end of the carpet before he can find yours.

When he sees a student approaching the librarians desk, he moves towards one of the large bookshelves. Along with the walls, there are more shelves lined up to form small hallways. He's been here enough times to know where his favourite section is — he used to like reading non-fiction and sci-fi, but his childhood friend got him into manga and comics.

Kuroo's feet lead him down the dimly lit manga section. Nothing catches his eye, except for some nostalgic titles that he used to read with Kenma, and before he knows it, he's reached the end of the walkway.

Faced with another bookshelf, he turns and walks down the perimeter of the library, still keeping an eye out on the tables. A few students walk past, and Kuroo sighs when he doesn't find you nearby.

Maybe I was just seeing things, he starts to doubt that he ever saw you. It isn't until he's turned into the next aisle and finds you standing alone, peering at the spines on the shelf.

Kuroo gasps quietly. He doesn't know why he feels so intrigued by you. Maybe it's because he developed an odd sense of protectiveness over you after watching you walking alone in the dark, or maybe it's because your eyes aren't reading the titles anymore, instead staring at his gawking face.

Not knowing what to say, you give Kuroo a smile. "Am I in your way?"

Kuroo blinks when he realizes that he's been staring. Shit. "No," he blurts out while shaking his head a little too aggressively, an action that makes him look even more awkward with his tousled hair. "Just exploring, that's all."

When you nod your head, Kuroo mentally slaps himself in the face. Exploring? Really? He didn't like that he was already lying, especially after meeting you for the first time.

And, telling a girl — a ridiculously pretty girl, Kuroo might add — that he was actually at the library to see her would probably make her uncomfortable.

"Come here," you wave for Kuroo to walk over, "there's something that I want to show you."

His feet are already guiding him down the aisle before he can even process it. You slide a book off the shelf, dusting it with a hand before holding it out for him to take.