🪓 1: An Anomaly

You took in the earthy scents of your office— petrichor, sandalwood, coffee, and cinnamon. Breathing a blend of these pleasant smells was your calm as you sat idly, slumping your head down, bored on your desk among a sea of busybodies.

The sound of subtle muted chatters and white noises around you were far from comforting. The sight of the pile of paperwork in front of you only made you sigh in frustration. You were considered a genius. Your university willingly gave you your graduate diploma at the age of 10. Now at age 18, you applied to work at the most respectable science institute in town. Them appointing you as a heavily undermined, underpaid employee who merely sorted out client information felt like a great insult to you.

"I'm supposed to be working in the lab. I didn't sign up for this! I'm not a clerk, I'm a fucking scientist!" You stood up, and flipped the table which sent the papers flying everywhere and startling everyone.

Their mouths were left ajar. Out of nowhere whilst your desk papers continued to scatter throughout the air drafts present inside the room, a sonic boom blasted through everyone's ears.

An explosion occured.

Muted chatters were replaced by stressed panicked cries. All your supposed colleagues vacated the room, leaving you stunned with bleeding ears in front of a growing blue vortex radiating a dissonance that sounded like a ringing magnetic field which seemed to have caused the sudden mass hysteria.

The gravity in the room seemed absurd.

You looked on your right, there was only an empty, wet wall with led lights and broken shards of glass left where a mesmerizing large aquarium of goldfishes once stood.

You shifted your gaze left to see no one left in the corridors but flying papers, desks, and seats. Other office items were in disarray.

You were the only one left in the room.

It was only you and that glowing bright blue mass that seemed like a physical manifestation of a rip through the space and time continuum that you used to passionately read about from your old college textbooks.

An anomaly.

A bloodied hand slipped through the vortex. You stared at it... Getting curious and curioser.

It could be a man. But the man could be dead behind that portal. After all, everyone heard an explosion.

But it could also be non-human. By that, he could be an alien life form perhaps, from a dimension you haven't heard of yet.

You examined the hands and felt it just to be sure.

'If it's alive, then it's warm and this must be a human's,' you thought to yourself.

Before you reached for the hand, it flinched, making you jump a little from the sudden slight scare. You decided to reach out for it and held it.

Warm.

"SHIT! LET GO!" You loudly thought.

You felt the hand grasp yours uncomfortably very tight. You felt yourself getting sucked in, in agonizingly slow motion.

You could hear your heels scratch the tiled office floor as it took everything in you to resist. You fought for your life and yielded all the force left in you to yank yourself back and away from the vortex.

You pulled back too hard, causing the hand and the man who owned it to be pulled out of the vortex with you.

An unconscious bloodied man who seemed to be at least 18 years of age dropped chest first on the ground in front of you along with all the flying papers, swivel chairs, and pots suspended in the air 5 minutes ago.