chapter 6

"Uh… Khun Vegas?"

"Have I scared you?"

Having come back from the beach, Pete did not cross paths with the young master until the evening. And now Vegas is sitting in the nursery, staring at Pete, who's holding Venice in his arms after bathing.

"No. I just didn't expect to see you here."

Vegas grins wryly, and Venice begins to whimper and pull the hands in his direction. Pete only now notices that Vegas is holding the baby's favorite toy — a stuffed hedgehog.

"Hmm. Did you buy it for him?"

"Well, yes. He chose it. Or rather, he just grabbed it from the shelf, so there was no chance," Pete giggles. "He sleeps with this hedgehog, and feeds him porridge."

"Hmm… Wow," Vegas suddenly chuckles thoughtfully, as if this hedgehog reminds him of something or someone. "Here you are, "he hands the toy to Pete, "otherwise he won't stop crying."

"Yes, I actually need to put a diaper on him." Pete squints, "do you want to try doing it?"

"What? Pfft, no, do it on your own."

"All right," Pete smiles, shrugging his shoulders.

Vegas gets up, puts the hedgehog in Venice's crib and leaves the nursery.

The next day Pete is playing in the garden with Venice again. This time he managed to find a ball in a box with toys. So he sits the baby down in front of him and starts pushing the ball towards him, each time naming a word by syllables. According to the idea, Venice has to repeat the words after Pete if he wants to push the ball back.

"Home," Pete says clearly, pointing at the mansion.

The kid flaps his eyes and wants to push the ball away, but Pete threatens with his finger: "repeat it first."

"Home, come on, Venice, home"

"Hom-m"

"No, baby, let's say it again."

Pete pushes the ball:

"H"

"H"

"Oh."

"Oh."

"M."

"Mmm," Venice says a little longer

"Here. And now in its entirety: "Home".

"H-home"

"That's right, baby! Good job!" Pete nods, allowing him to push the ball.

"Am I interrupting?" it sounds behind Pete's back.

Pete turns around: to the chaise longue that stands in the middle of the garden, where Vegas is heading — with only shorts on, a book and a bottle of water in his hands.

And why not without boxers? Yeah… We're not on the beach. You could have dressed better.

Pete nods, offering with a smile:

"Would you like to join us?"

Vegas shifts sunglasses higher:

"No."

Then Pete shrugs and says, pointing at him and sending the ball to Venis:

"Ve-gas."

"Fe-cas-s"

"No, no, it's not like that at all," Pete patiently repeats, "Ve-gas."

"Fe-gus."

"Nope. Ve-gas."