04

finally. the day was here.

right on a monday morning, jaehyun was very much half-sleep as his mother drove him to the airport. jaehyun had managed to successfully fall asleep twice while getting dressed and almost nodded off while pouring himself a drink to go with his breakfast. so, today was off to a great start.

he found himself asking why they had to be at the airport so early, but the question sort of just answers itself — it'll be a long fly over to another country a long time away from here. there's a slight feeling of satisfaction in that moment at the realisation he can sleep in the plane and maybe the whole way there. excluding the uncomfortable feelings his ears are bound to have in the aftermath.

they reach the airport soon enough; jaehyun was the first to the now open trunk of his mum's car, tiredly putting his backpack on and grabbing his suitcase. his mother comes around, her voice sounding, "you have your wallet, right?"

"uh-huh," jaehyun lets out a yawn. "i got everythin', mum."

"just making sure," she replies with a sigh. "i won't be able to really help you since you'll be all the way in new york."

"uh-huh, yep."

"i'll get you breakfast when we get inside," she adds. "whatever you want, bluebell."

"thank you," jaehyun yawns again although truthfully, he was thankful. the idea of a nice breakfast spurred him on and woke him up a little.

they go through security, which felt like it went by fast, and soon enough they reach the gates. they settle on finding out where everyone else is before looking for breakfast. it didn't take too long since johnny happily waved them both over.

"oh, it's your best friend," his mother says in her airy voice. "he hasn't come around these days."

too busy with his boyfriend, jaehyun thinks but doesn't want to say out loud. they walk over to where he was standing, his mother greeting him.

"haven't seen you in a while!" she says. "where's your parents?"

"oh, ten's dad drove me and him here," johnny says with a small laugh as he tucks a lock of his hair behind his ear.

"ten?" jaehyun's mum says with some confusion.

"oh, my boyfriend," he replies. "i'll go sit down. nice talking to you."

you've barely said much of anything, jaehyun thinks when he feels his mum push him from behind lightly.

"go with him," she says with a smile. "remember, have fun on your trip, alright? call me when you land, my sun child."

jaehyun's cheeks go pink at the sound of that dumb nickname as he turns around. "i will."

he really hoped none of his classmates heard it. it'll be a repeat of the whole thing with jungwoo and the nickname 'sunny' that grew from that. jaehyun prefers to be called bluebell in front of other people than sun child and bluebell's just as bad.

"okay, love you," she says while cupping her son's face in her hands and kissing his forehead and both of his cheeks before hugging him. then, she finally let him go to sit with johnny and his boyfriend.

wait, wasn't she supposed to buy him breakfast? well, he does have his own money to get something himself.

sitting down with his best friend and his partner felt awkward. he just pulled out his phone out to scroll through it random stuff if it caught his eyes. as he did so, he could hear their low voices and giggles. with a sigh, he looks past his phone and spots dejun sitting with friends, though one of them had fallen asleep, headphones pulled his ears.