Prologue

2014 Copyright © A. M. Forest

All Rights Reserved

Magnolia sat in the corner of the bar, her back against the wall. She sipped at her cool glass of vodka and watched the supernatural crowd. Her eyes glowed an inhuman hazel in the under glow of bar light above. The wereshifter bartender continued to fix drinks for the incoming people, only going to her corner to refill her cup when she signaled.

After the first time she entered the bar, no one bothered her.

Magnolia rarely spoke at places like that anymore, deciding to stay in her corner instead. Watching. Listening. Waiting.

Waiting for what, she didn't know, but she felt it in her bones. It was coming.

She had been taking advantage of her new senses by listening for any indication to where the foxes traveled to. This bar was one of the few places Celestial creatures could mingle on peaceful ground, meaning a lot of creatures came from around the world to visit the Torento Café. During the day it was a lovely family-friendly place, but at night turned into the Devil's Den, a safe haven for the creatures of the night.

She always found herself coming back. The newly turned vampire hunted others like herself during the day and came to sit in the same corner of the bar at night.

Former-Agent Austin Joseph sat in a booth in the far corner, reading a book, his looks sharper to her eye with the new vampire senses. He had shaven, his face clear and smooth to the touch. After the trouble they'd been through that day, he didn't bother combing his blonde curls from his face. From where she was sitting, he looked as if he was rather interested in his newest series, which he most likely was. However, he stayed alert as he looked up every so often to check his surroundings.

The bar was experiencing one of its more crowded nights and Magnolia almost lost Jeremiah in a booth, mingling with two shifters, both in the feline family. His dark brown, almost black, hair glistened in the dark, his charming smile aimed at one of the two women as they all laughed at a joke he must have made. He glanced around once, then twice before going back to conversation at hand.

No matter how much she argued both men refused to leave her side, whether it was during a fight or waiting for something to happen. Because of this, they followed her to the bar every night and waited in their own ways.

In return, she ignored them, instead watching the people move in waves each and every night. She sipped the vodka slowly as she thought about what a waste of time this was. For the past five weeks she would hunt rogue vampires by day and then sit in the Devil's Den at night, drinking vodka in the same spot while listening for something that would indicate where they went; solely so she could choke the life out of them for wasting her time and money.

Well, Joseph's money. She sent the tab to his table.

My human life ended rather shortly. Magnolia thought to herself as she took another sip of her drink. Who would have thought that at twenty-five, her life of hunting as a super soldier would end?

~~~

Banner done by: sereneur

Edited by:  and @Spaceship_jellyfish