I

"Dad, I'm heading out to Griffin's!" I yelled from the entry way.

My dad emerged from his room and went to fill a glass with water from the sink.

"Be safe. Call me or your brother if you need a ride."

"I will."

"Later, loser," my brother said from his spot on the couch.

I'd come home from Florida for my brother's high school graduation. It was a week away and I liked to joke that I was surprised he was graduating. Unfortunately, this meant everyone knew I'd be home. It wasn't that I didn't like my high school friends, I was just a different person back then. Moving to Florida was probably one of the best things I'd ever done.

I spent high school in a horrible awkward phase. I didn't wear makeup or have the trendiest clothes. I oftentimes chose to wear baggy clothes that made me resemble something of a bum. I wasn't terribly bullied, but I also wasn't included in much of anything. I had a select few friends up until my cousin introduced me to her friend group one day at the local fair.

We did everything together up until I graduated. Her friends became mine and I was quickly accepted as one of their own. We had a falling out, and I think it was because I was going off to college in Florida. Their last year of high school was a turning point for all of them; they were the stars of their school.

I'd been home for holidays but never made a move to see my friends, worried I'd slip back into my old ways, the person I didn't want to be. Thankfully, they were always busy and didn't ask me to do anything. But now, with everyone home for graduation, there was no way I could get out of it. Griffin's birthday party just happened to land on the Friday before graduation and everyone would be going.

When I turned down his driveway, I was surprised to see the quarter mile drive full of cars parked on each side. All he'd said when he invited me was he was having some friends and family over. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything less. As if by miracle, I found a spot closer to the front of the line and parked. I took a moment to take some deep breaths and also decide if I really wanted to do this.

I watched as three girls came out of the house, dressed the same in flannels and ripped jeans, drinks in hand, and attempt to get into the garage. The door stuck and I found myself saying "Turn the knob to the left," knowing that the door stuck terribly. They laughed loudly as the door finally opened and loud music was heard for a moment before the door closed again.

Griffin's yard hadn't changed much. The tattered flag that was hardly a flag anymore still attached to the flagpole blew faintly in the wind. His parents cars sat in the driveway and a faint glow from his gaming computer shone in his window. I watched still, as two more figures came out of the garage.

My heart plummeted and I could feel the old me creeping in, the sudden urge to hide behind my hair almost hard to ignore. I went to push my glasses up my nose more, only to remember that I only wore contacts now. Niko and a girl stood between the garage and the deck to the house, arguing. I decided to wait a little longer. I knew the girl he started dating in his senior year; she was the one person that actually bullied me.

Ten minutes later, they went inside and I decided the new me would go inside. The old me would've left. I slammed my door and locked the car, hooking my keys to my belt loop, and made my way to the garage. I was glad I didn't wear heels like I normally did, feeling as though I'd be way overdressed. I'd just made it to the concrete slab in front of the garage when the door opened again and a group of people came out.

They were loud and obviously severely drunk and it took a moment for them to realize I was standing just at the edge of the group. But once they did, it was as if seeing a celebrity.

"Clover!" Griffin slurred. "I didn't think you'd come!"

"You thought I'd miss your birthday party?"

"A little bit," he said, full of liquid courage.

"Holy shit. As I live and breathe. Clover Solace, is that you?"

I laughed and hugged Callum, noticing he'd grown a great deal.

"Well, Miami," Ryder said, lazily throwing his arm over my shoulder. "Griffin, here, is a little plastered."

I laughed as Ryder swayed and nearly took me with him. "I don't think he's the only one."

"Then let's get a drink in you and you won't be the only sober one here."

"I'm so glad you've offered."

They all crowded around me and we moved into the warm garage where Griffin loudly announced my arrival. My eyes moved over to the small living room area to see a movie playing, also seeing Niko and Alice. Her eyes found mine and she glared, looking me up and down then away like she didn't see much. I brushed it off and took a drink that Gavin handed me.

After a few drinks and doing some rounds to greet people, I stumbled outside with Ryder to grab another drink from a cooler but we stumbled into something we weren't expecting. Alice and Niko stood outside, once again arguing. They heard the door close on the swell of conversation and immediately turned in our direction.

"You," Alice said, stalking up to me. "Who the hell do you think you are, coming back to ruin my relationship?"

"Alice, quit," Niko warned.

"No, I want to know. She thinks she can come back here like some fake, spray tanned Barbie and win you over. I'd like to see her try."

"Whoa, I didn't come back for anyone besides my brother. I was invited here just like you."

"You're a fake bitch," she said, trying to get in my face but finding that difficult being significantly shorter than me. "I see right through you. You want all of these guys and you'll stomp on anyone to get what you want. "

"Alice, that's enough. Your mom is here, so just go home," Niko said, grabbing her hand and pulling her away from me.

"You okay?" Ryder asked when they were a safe distance away.

I shrugged. "Can't please everyone."

He laughed and handed me a drink. "That's the spirit!"

We went back inside and moments later Niko did too. He walked right up to the table next to me and smiled down at me. "What are we playing?"

"Tippy cup," I replied, not meeting his eyes.

"I'm a natural at this game."

"Don't let us down, Solace!" Callum yelled.

I laughed and chugged my drink.